A war memorial designed by Francis William Troup (1859-1941) commemorating the men of Devizes and Roundway who fell in the First World War, dedicated and unveiled in November 1922, later also commemorating those in Devizes and Roundway who fell in the Second World War, and more recent world conflicts.
Reason for Listing
The Devizes and Roundway War Memorial, dedicated in 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is poignant reminder of the impact of the First and Second World Wars on the local community and commemorates its fallen servicemen;
* Architectural interest: it is a good example of a war memorial by FW Troup, an eminent architect of the Edwardian period, which displays interesting architectural detailing using good quality materials;
* Group value: it has visual group value with the neighbouring listed buildings and structures and makes a positive and important contribution to the local street scene
In order to commemorate the men of Devizes and Roundway who fell in the First World War a local appeal for the erection of a War Memorial was launched on 2 May 1919. This raised £3,660 and subsequently the Devizes and Roundway War Memorial was built on Long Street, partly in the corner of the churchyard of St John the Baptist (Grade I), next to the Parish Rooms, and partly situated within the landscaped grounds formerly associated with The Ark (Grade II) situated to its south-west.
The War Memorial was designed by architect Francis William Troup (1859-1941) in a neo-classical style, constructed by Messrs Morgan & Sons, and with bronze plaques cast by Humphrys & Oakes Foundry. A small memorial garden with flagstone paving was created around it, enclosed by cast iron railings on stone footings, incorporating and borrowing mature planting and trees that formed part of the grounds to The Ark. The Memorial was dedicated and unveiled by the Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire, Viscount Long on 13 November 1922. Francis William Troup, born in Scotland 1859, had his architectural practise in London from 1889 until his death in 1941. He is a relatively well-known Edwardian architect, and a number of his buildings in England are listed. He also designed a War Memorial in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, built in 1921.
From 1945 the Devizes and Roundway War Memorial also commemorates the men of Devizes who fell in the Second World War, and subsequently also those people who gave their lives for this country in more recent conflicts.
A First World War Memorial dedicated in 1922 and built to a design by the architect Francis William Troup (1859-1941).
The memorial, built as a curved wall, is constructed in Doulting stone and is set on a stepped plinth. The curved wall has a plain central archway with cornice and blocking course and a bronze urn on a stone pedestal set within it. The central arch is flanked by panelled quadrant screen walls terminating in piers. Metal reliefs of laurel wreaths decorate either end of the curved wall. The three panels to either side of the arch contain bronze plaques with the names of those who lost their lives.
The wall is inscribed as follows:
REMEMBER / MEN OF DEVIZES / AND ROUNDWAY / WHO FELL / IN THE WAR 1914-1919 / ALSO / THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WAR / 1939-1945 / IN MEMORY OF THE / MEN AND WOMEN / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY / SINCE 1945
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast iron railings on stone footings enclose a small rectangular shaped garden with the War Memorial standing at its centre.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.