First World War Memorial of 1924; further inscription added after the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Huish Episcopi war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: for its poignant and well-executed design.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in Huish Episcopi to commemorate the fifteen men of the parish who died during the conflict. It was unveiled on 3 August 1924 by Captain Cuthbert Matterson. After the Second World War a further nine names were added in memory of those men who died during the war.
First World War Memorial of 1924; further inscription added after the Second World War.MATERIALS: it is constructed of coursed local lias stone with rusticated ashlar dressings.PLAN: it takes the form of semi-circular fronted platform enclosed by a semi-circular wall. DESCRIPTION: steps rise to a semi-circular fronted platform with a semi-circular back wall that has piers to either end and at the centre. The wall has a stepped, stone plinth which is inscribed: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. Each of the piers has rusticated quoins. The central piers has a stepped top which culminates in a shouldered plaque which carries the dates ‘1914’ and ‘1918’ in bronze lettering and a carved bronze wreath within a recessed circular panel. Below is a bronze plaque which is inscribed: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THE PARISH/ OF HUISH EPISCOPI/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR./ (NAMES). A second plaque is inscribed: NAMES OF THE FALLEN/ 1939-45/ (NAMES). To either side of the central pier is an opening within the wall in the shape of a cross. The flanking piers are each capped with a segmental arch of moulded stone copings and kneelers. Set within the left-hand pier is a stone panel containing a bronze relief carving of the badge of the Somerset Light Infantry. Beneath is a stone sill decorated with guttae, and a bronze plaque inscribed: THEY REST FROM/ THEIR LABOURS. The right-hand pier is similarly styled; its panel carries the Royal coat of arms, and the plaque is inscribed: THEIR NAMES LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: In front of the war memorial are low side walls of stone rubble with regularly-spaced squat stone piers which are linked by chain fencing. There are two further stone piers at the approach to the memorial, also with chain fencing between.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.