If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 14 March 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 147714
OS Grid Reference: SO9156362552
OS Grid Coordinates: 391563, 262552
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2611, -2.1250
Explore more of the area around Hadzor, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 96 SW
3/37 (14/1A) Church of St John
Parish church, now deconsecrated and used as a store. Early to mid-C14,
restored in 1835 and again in 1866, possibly by G E Street; interior altered
c1975 after deconsecration. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs with parapets at
gable ends. Small west tower, three-bay nave, and two-bay chancel with north
vestry. Decorated style. West tower: mid-C19; ground floor forms main
entrance porch; two stages; lower stage has offsets and also string above
a continuous battered plinth; pointed west entrance archway has a single
roll moulding and the porch has a quadripartite vault with an ornamental
boss; the door into the nave has a simple pointed-arched chamfered surround.
Above the entrance is a blind 2-light window having a hood mould (with
returns) and in the north and south side elevation is a lancet with a smaller
lancet above. The belfry stage is gabled; the west elevation has a pair of
louvred lancets with single lancets in the side elevations all having hood
moulds (with returns); the gables have parapets set above a square fleuron
frieze and with moulding copings; at each corner and at the apex of the west
gable is a small turret corbelled out from the wall and enriched with cusped,
pointed-arched panels except for the turret at the west gable apex which has
a central cusped pointed-arched opening and is surmounted by a broken finial.
Nave: three bays; C14 stonework evident at base, in windows and square fleuron
eaves frieze; sill string continues around east end buttresses and west end,
angled buttresses all with offsets, gables and with an additional finialed
gable at mid-height having cusped blind tracery. Both north and south eleva-
tions have three 2-light windows with different tracery designs and flattened
ogee hood moulds with foliated finials (which interrupt the eaves frieze).
The north-west window is probably a C19 copy added when the north doorway was
blocked. Chancel: two bays; frieze and sill string continue from nave; east
end was refaced in C19, with angled corner buttresses similar to the nave.
The 3-light east window has a hood mould with label stops carved like grotesque
heads; the two south windows and the north-east window are all similar to those
in the nave; to the left of the south-west window, immediately beneath the sill
string is a small, square blocked window. The north vestry is a C19 addition
and projects from the north-west bay; the north gable end has a 3-light square-
headed window and hood mould with returns; at the east side elevation a flight
of four steps with simple cast iron railings leads up to a central pointed-
arched doorway. Interior: altered late 1970s after the church was deconsecrated
when pews and altar table removed. Pointed chancel arch has flattened ogee hood
mould with foliated finial. Roofs are C19 with cusped arch-braced collar trusses.
Windows similarly detailed to chancel arch and have grotesque head label stops;
flanking east window are narrow semi-circular headed niches with crocketted and
finialed gabled canopies and slender, pinnacled buttresses; the piscina has a
cusped ogee arch and in the north-east corner is an arched recess. The nave
has a west gallery with cusped pointed arcading, a C19 octagonal stone front
and the pulpit has also been retained. Memorials: between the east end and
central window of the north nave wall is a large possibly C14 monument, with
a C19 chest tomb in the cusped, wide pointed-arched recess beneath to John Howard
Galton, died 1862, set behind ornate cast iron railings. Above the finialed
hood mould to the recess is a niche for a figure with a crocketted gabled and
pinnacled head; this is enclosed within an outer crocketted pointed hood mould
with blind tracery below. The niche is flanked by two similar niches. In
the chancel are several C18 and C19 memorials commemorating members of the
Galton and Amphlett families. Glass: chancel windows and east and central
window of south nave wall probably by Hardman and include a little C14 glass.
A small church with some good Decorated detailing; internally the elaborate
tomb recess in the north nave wall is of particular interest. (VCH 3 (i), p 137;
BoE, 1968, p 175-6).
Listing NGR: SO9156362552
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.