If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 11 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 149651
OS Grid Reference: SO5356656338
OS Grid Coordinates: 353566, 256338
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2033, -2.6809
HUMBER CP HUMBER
SO 55 NW
2/88 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Circa 1200, altered, probably mid-C13 and C14. Restored
1874-8 by T H Wyatt, and also in 1884. Sandstone rubble and tufa with
dressings of the same materials. Plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge
tiles and gable-end cross finials; the spire is shingled. West tower, four-
bay nave with north transept and south porch, three-bay chancel. West tower:
C14, restored in 1884 when belfry stage rebuilt. Two stages (divided into
three storeys internally) with ashlar sill band to belfry stage. There is
a cusped lancet in the west elevation of the lower stage and an ogee-arched
light in the north and south elevations. The belfry stage has 2-light louvred
bell-chamber openings and there is a splay-footed spire with a finial and
weathervane. Nave: C13 or earlier. The north elevation has a pair of C19
cusped lancets and a blocked pointed doorway at its western end. From the
easternmost two bays project the north transept, built in 1874. This is
gabled and has three stepped cusped lancets beneath a hoodmould with returns
at its north gable end. There is a cusped lancet in each side elevation, and
in the western angle is a lean-to addition with a north doorway. The south
elevation has a shallow pilaster buttress at the western end and three cusped
lancets, all C19 except for parts of the jambs. The south porch is late C14,
gabled and timber-framed on a sandstone base. The outer archway has heavy
wall-posts, a chamfered arch-braced tie-beam with a shaped central strut,
cusped principals and the bargeboards have traceried panelling. The inner
archway is formed by a simpler arch-braced tie-beam truss with a V-strut and
the two-bay roof has run-out stop chamfered purlins and cusped wind-braces.
The upper part of the side elevations have 4-light chamfered mullioned open-
ings, the outer openings are boarded and the central two have leaded lights.
The C14 south doorway has chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. Chancel:
at the east end are two restored round-headed windows of circa 1200 and there
is a circular window in the gable apex enclosing a C19 quatrefoil. The north
elevation has a C19 buttress with offsets and three lancets of circa 1200.
The south elevation has a C19 buttress with offsets at the eastern end, three
similar windows, one of which is C19 and an original restored doorway with
chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. Interior: there is a narrow tower arch
with a pointed head and a wide C19 pointed archway of two chamfered orders
leading into the north transept with semi-circular responds. Chancel roof
is probably C14 and has three king-post trusses with added mouldings and
struts to the tie-beams. The nave has a C19 ashlared collar rafter-roof.
The chancel has a stepped sill string and the fittings include a C15 moulded
stone shelf, an early C14 chamfered piscina with a multi-cusped head and some
late C17 panelling behind the altar. The font is C12, circular on a short
circular stem with the upper face chamfered to form an octagon and with cable
moulded necking above an incised chevron motif. The C19 pulpit incorporates
two sides of late C17 panelling with a moulded cornice on moulded corbels
and blind arcading between engaged columns. In the vestry in the west tower
is a late C17 altar table with turned legs. Memorials: in the chancel is a
memorial to Oliver Hughes, died 1671, with an open segmental pediment,
scrolled border and coat of arms. Also six memorials at the west end of the
nave mainly of late C18 and early C19 date, one of which has a husk border.
(RCHM, Herefs III, p 72, item 1; BoE, p 197).
Listing NGR: SO5356656338
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.