British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St George, Brinsop and Wormsley

Description: Church of St George

Grade: I
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 149682

OS Grid Reference: SO4423344791
OS Grid Coordinates: 344233, 244791
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0986, -2.8155

Location: 2 Church Road Bungalows, Brinsop HR4 7AU

Locality: Brinsop and Wormsley
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR4 7AU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SO 44 SW
6/1 Church of St George
- I
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14 with later alterations. Restored 1866-7
and after 1919 by Ninian Comper. Sandstone rubble with sandstone dressings
and tiled roofs. Continuous four-bay nave and chancel with north aisle and
north vestry. South porch and western bell-cot. West elevation has recessed
bell-cot probably early C20, with hanging tiles, trefoil-enriched frieze,
pyramidical roof and weathervane. Verge and gable cross. West window has
three stepped lights, the outer two lancets under a two-centred head with
label. A pair of weathered buttresses flank the window and further left
is a short battered buttress. Roof slope continues as catslide over north
aisle. North elevation has to the right a 2-light window in a two-centred
head. Each light is cinquefoiled. Quatrefoil in spandrel. Vestry probably
late C19 or early C20 to centre has foliated coffin lid on right-hand return
and ogeed head to north window. Chancel aisle to left has three stepped ogee-
headed lights in north window. East window of aisle has a window like that of
north side of nave aisle. East window of chancel has three stepped lights,
the outer two lancets, under a two-centred head with label. Flanking the
window are two tall weathered buttresses. Verge and gable cross. South
elevation has three evenly spaced 2-light windows to right of south porch.
Each window has a two-centred head and Y-tracery. Five weathered buttresses.
South porch is perhaps C15 and restored. Two bays. Each truss supported by
arch-braces; the central one with V-struts above tie. Returns have open upper
range of panels with two-centred heads. Late C18 or early C19 wicket gates.
South doorway has moulded arch with two orders, two-centred head, label and
two pairs of pyramidical stops to bases of jambs. Ledged C19 door with enriched
strap hinges. Interior has nine-bay roof to nave and chancel with arch-braces
to collars, probably late C19. Heavy truss consisting of three posts to collar
with V-struts at liturgical division of nave and chancel is probably C17. At
west end of nave are restored beams resting on corbels beneath bell-cot. Aisle
roof has close-set rafters producing panelled effect. Chancel has piscina with
continuous chamfer, two-centred head and quatrefoil drain. Recess in north wall
has two-centred head and richly carved early C20 oak door with Y-tracery vine-
leaf and wheat motifs. Reredos dated 1931 for Hubert Delaval Astley and Richard
Vincent Sutton. Gilded alabaster with central Crucifixion linked to outer figures
by tendrils resembling those of a Jesse Tree. Attached to top corners are a
pair of metal statues, probably gilded bronze, of St George and St Martin. East
window has two panels and several fragments of C14 and C15. One central panel
has St George under a canopy with poppyhead; another, above, has a saint with
blue clothes. To the top of the window is a Virgin and Child, probably early
C20. South window dated 1929 depicts the Shepherds and Magi and is dedicated
to William Wordsworth. Painted foliage, ashlar lines and figures, possibly C14,
to east. Large gilded ceilure of early C20, above altar. Chancel screen,
probably C15 and much restored, has four panels to each side of entry. Upper
open panels have foliated and cusped tracery in heads. Early C20 cresting with
gilded figures of The Crucifixion and four angels. Similar screen divides chancel
from north aisle in eastern bay of arcade. Nave has three of the four bays of
the arcade. Double chamfered arches on cyclindrical piers with octagonal abaci
and part octagonal responds. Font has tapered cyclindrical bowl, perhaps
early C13 on chamfered base. Stoup is C15 and part octagonal with quatre-
foils in side panels. Coffin lid, perhaps C13, against west wall, has
incised circle and cross with shaft emerging asymmetrically from the circle.
Under west window, carved panel, probably C12, consisting of four birds set
in roundels. Four brass plaques, all C18 to members of the Donsey family.
Floor slab raised against wall is for Roger Donsey, died 1640. Remains of
wall-painting of The Crucifixion, possibly C14, over south door. Large
monument on south wall for William Donsey, died 1708. Marble with inscription
surmounted by drapery, urns and swags and flanked by a pair of putti. Pulpit
probably early C20 is oak, part octagonal with delicate linenfold panels,
that to west with additional flower-motif. Lectern, probably early C20 has
eagle on crocketted and pinnacled shaft. West window, early C20, by Comper,
for three members of the Royal Flying Corps, depicts Christ carrying the
Cross with heroes. South-east window, dated 1927, with Comper's strawberry-
plant signature, is for Hubert Delaval Astley and depicts St Francis of Assisi.
Adjacent window to west is for W C Fowles, died 1881, and shows St George.
North aisle has excellent mid-C12 sculpture. Typanum of St George and the
Dragon and radiating voussoirs with fish, angels, bull and grotesques. Above
the vestry door a segmental arch with more C12 voussoirs reset. To south of
east window is a portion of rope-moulded carving, probably C12. Nearby a small
grey and white marble wall monument for Richard Dansey, died 1813, with urn
and apron. Organ is probably late C19 with oak case, two manuals and exposed
galvanised pipes by Harrison and Harrison of Durham and London. North/south
screen similar to those of chancel. Beneath east window, two coffin lids,
both probably C13, one is exceptional with raised wavy foliated stem and inter-
secting circles forming cross-head. East window has stained glass probably
early C20 depicting The Annunciation. North-east window for Dorothy, Mary and
Dora Wordsworth, dated 1875, and shows SS Dorothy and Faith. North-west window,
dated 1873, is for David Ricardo, grandson of the political-economist of the
same name and depicts the Holy Ghost and Blind Justice. The glazed quatrefoil
of the spandrel above has a small C14 Christ in Majesty. The Wordsworths and
Ricardos had longstanding associations with the parish. Sir J Ninian Comper
designed the reredos, figures on chancel screen, several of the stained glass
windows, the ceilure in the chancel and restored the east window. (BoE, p 87;
RCHM, Vol II, p 27-9; Zarnecki, G: Later English Romanesque sculpture 1140-1210,
Tiranti, 1953, p 12-13).

Listing NGR: SO4423444790

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.