Church of St Lawrence, Canon Pyon
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 149686
OS Grid Reference: SO4500849176
OS Grid Coordinates: 345008, 249176
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1381, -2.8049
Location: Canon Pyon, County of Herefordshire HR4 8PL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
CANON PYON CP -
SO 44 NW
SO 44 NE
4/5 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15. Restored 1865, 1870, 1897 and c1922.
Sandstone rubble and ashlar with tiled roofs. Four-bay aisled nave with
south tower and two-bay chancel and north chapel. Tower, incorporating
porch, is C14. Four diminishing stages, early C20 embattled parapets and
weathercock. Diagonal weathered buttresses to south-west and south-east
rise to bottom of top stage. Angle buttresses of same height to north-west
and north-east. Top stage has a 2-light ogeed and trefoiled opening with
quatrefoil in spandrel to south and east sides. North and west sides have
single trefoil and ogee-headed lights. First stage has central ogeed opening
to north and south sides. On the west side is a central loop and to the left
is a loop to the stairs. Plinth has two large roll mouldings stopped around
the jambs of the outer moulded two-centred arch which is double chamfered.
West elevation has C15 nave window with four-centred head, four trefoiled
lights and small glazed spandrels. West door beneath has two-centred moulded
arch with label and head stops. Flanking the doorway is a pair of weathered
buttresses. South aisle has trefoil-headed single light. North aisle has
three stepped trefoiled lights beneath a four-centred head, gable cross, and
to the left side, a weathered buttress. North elevation has battered buttresses
to left, right-hand side and centre. To right of centre is a round-headed
chamfered single light, possibly C19. To left is a single trefoil-head light
and further left a pair of similar lights with a square quatrefoil above.
East elevation of north chapel has three stepped plain pointed lights in a
two-centred head. Above is a small opening with a two-centred head, verge
and gable cross. Chancel has three stepped trefoil headed lights in a four-
centred head. Pair of weathered buttresses and stump of gable cross. Nave
has C19 planking above chancel roof. South elevation of chancel has a pair
of 2-light trefoiled windows with triangular glazed spandrels. Priest's door-
way with two-centred head and continuous moulding. Nave has four square-
headed clerestory lights. Aisle has two single trefoil-headed lights. The
eastern return has a window similar to those of the south side of the chancel.
Interior of tower has moulded chamfers with run-outs to beams supporting first
stage. Inner doorway has double chamfered two-centred arch. Ledged oak door,
probably late C19 or early C20. Roofs are mainly C19 with pine collar trusses
to chancel and nave. South aisle has three massive chamfered strainer Arches
supporting leaning arcade piers. North aisle has C15 open wagon roof with four
tie-beams and remains of corbels above arcade. Wall-plate on north wall of
north chapel is moulded and enriched with ball flowers. Chancel has C14 piscina
with restored trefoiled head, octofoil drain on female corbel-head. Communion
table is oak, perhaps early C17 with lamb's tongue chamfer stops to legs, plain
stretchers and C20 top. Chamfered two-centred blocked doorway in north wall.
Early C18 oak communion rails with turned balusters and square sections. Two-
leaved entry with the same detailing. Two low-set corbels opposite each other
on north and south walls. Choir stalls, probably C16, reputedly from Wormsley
Priory. Each side has a four-seater bench with carved misericords and moulded
arms. Also two benches, probably C19, incorporating a single misericord and
seat to west end. Desks to benches have carved C15 poppyheads. North wall has
wall-monument with portrait relief for Major H G Lush-Wilson, RHA, killed in 1916.
Double-chamfered arch separating north chapel has stiff-leaf foliage to eastern
respond and octagonal abacus to western pier. East window has late C19 stained
glass with Christ giving Benediction. South-east window with Christ after the
Resurrection is for DFB and Caroline Thomas, died 1870 and 1905. South-west
window depicts the Good Shepherd and St. John the Evangelist, and was given by
John Nash, 1906, "... to the Glory of God and to// remind the Vicar and Church-
wardens that his and his wife's grave are kept in order". Chancel screen is
probably C15 and thoroughly restored. Oak with eight traceried panels on each
side of entry, vine-motifs and restored cresting. Screen dividing chancel from
north chapel is of similar design. Nave has C13 arcades that to north with stiff-
leaf foliage on capitals. Two-centred, double chamfered arches and circular piers
south arcade has alternating octagonal and circular abaci and label with head-stop.
Pulpit is C19, oak and part octagonal. Lectern, dated 1920 for Rev G F Bulmer.
South aisle has two-centred double chamfered doorway to tower. Ledged medieval
door with later repairs. Font has circular moulded base and cylindrical stem
with band of C12 or C13 interlaced ornament. C15 bowl is octagonal with three
sunk quatrefoils to each side. Slab against west wall has indents of two figures.
Slab against south wall has crocketted canopies. Benches have carved oak ends,
perhaps C16 or C17. Monument on south wall of George Sawyer, died 1753, signed
"L F Roubiliac fecit". White marble draped urn on cornice supported by two scrolls.
Extremely subtly curved pedimented background to urn. Convex apron with paean
stressing patience. East window has stained glass depicting Christ for Caroline
Freeman, died 1867. South-east window has St Stephen for R H Percival, dated 1908.
West window with Virgin and Child is for Kathleen Bulmer, dated 1925. North aisle
has several wall plaques for members of the Jay family of late C18 onwards.
Organ by Norman and Beard dated 1908. North chapel, restored in 1897, has
piscina with trefoiled head and quatrefoil drain. Wall monument in black and
white marble for Paul Barryson, died 1766. North-west window has mid-C20 stained
glass depicting a storm by A J Davis of Bromsgrove, for William and Percy Powell
"who gave their lives at sea". Oak screen dividing chapel from north aisle is
1904 by Greenlands of Hereford. Heavy harmonium, probably c1900 by Heins and
Co. Wall monument to 17 men of the parish who died in World War I. Beneath,
a roll of honour for the seven who died in World War II, the last entry being
for a member of the Metropolitan Police killed on night duty on 3rd September
1939. Late C19 or early C20 brass hanging candlesticks, with pendant and three
spurs for chains. (BoE, p 98-9; Church of St Laurence, Canon Pyon: Notes for
Visitors; RCHM, Vol II, p 45-7).
Listing NGR: SO4501149176
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.