British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Weobley

Description: The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 149911

OS Grid Reference: SO4017751865
OS Grid Coordinates: 340177, 251865
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1618, -2.8760

Location: Church Road, Weobley, County of Herefordshire HR4 8SF

Locality: Weobley
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR4 8SF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Peter and St Paul's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP CHURCH ROAD (west side)

14/129 The Church of Saint Peter
and Saint Paul


Parish church. C13, incorporating some C12 fragments, partly rebuilt C14
with detached tower, tower attached in C15. Spire partly rebuilt in late
C17 after a lightning strike. Church restored 1865. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings under a stone tile and tile roof. Nave with north and south
aisles, tower to north-west corner, and chancel with a north vestry. Tower
built in mid-C14 of five storeys, undivided externally, capped by an octagonal
spire. It has a deep plinth and a crenellated parapet with tall crocketted
pinnacles at the angles, the faces of the pinnacles being traceried. The east,
north and west walls have a recess with window of three trefoiled lights with
tracery under the two-centred head. Only the central light is pierced to form
a window, the side lights having a bracket for statues. The spire is supported
at the bottom by flying buttresses from the pinnacles. The side walls of the
spire each have a window of two ogee trefoiled lights under a two-centred head,
set in a crocketted gable with side pinnacles. South aisle of C13 is of four
bays, that to east carried up to form a C19 gable containing a rose window
over two lancets. To west of this, a C19 window of three stepped lancets,
then the early C14 stone porch with a further C19 window to west of two tre-
foiled lights under a two-centred head. The south porch, raised in the C16,
has a two-centred outer arch of two chamfered orders. The side walls each
have a lancet window. The roof is low-pitched C16 painted timber construction.
The south door is re-set C12 with a semi-circular arch of two moulded orders,
the inner continued down the jambs, the outer with chevron ornament resting
on shafts (lost). The moulded label is C13. The C14 clerestorey has four
windows each of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The west
wall has a 2-light C14 window over a pair of C13 lancets. The east window is
of three trefoiled lights. The north aisle is C15 incorporating the C14 north
transept. The east bay is gabled to the former transept with a C14 window of
two trefoiled lights and a two-centred head with a moulded label. To west of
this a C15 window of four cinquefoiled lights with tracery in the two-centred
head. The former north door to the west end has a segmental pointed head and
was blocked in the C19 to form a 2-light window. The west wall has a C15
window of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery-in the two-centred head.
The east window is of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The
nave west wall was rebuilt in the early c14 and has a west door with a two-
centred arch of four moulded orders, two with ball flower ornament continued
down the jambs which also had a shaft with moulded capital. Above-this the
west window has a two-centred head over four restored trefoil lights. Chancel
built C13, the south wall of three bays, the outer two with three stepped lancets,
the centre of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. North wall has the
central early C14 north vestry with C19 window flanked by two windows, each of
two pointed lights under a two-centred head. East window is C15, of five tre-
foiled lights with tracery in the two-centred head. Interior: the nave has
five-bay arcades to both aisles of the early C14 with two-centred arches of
two hollow chamfered orders with moulded labels on octagonal columns. The
eastern arch of each arcade has ball flower ornament. There is a doorway to
the north of the north-east respond leading to the roof loft stair, which has
an upper doorway with a segmental pointed head. There are various blocking pieces
marking the position of the main supports for the rood loft. The chancel arch is
C14 and two-centred, of three sunken chamfered orders, the inner springing from
from triple shafts. Roofs are mostly C19, although the south aisle retains
two trusses at the east end with moulded and cambered tie-beams. Fittings:
chancel screen C19 wrought iron. At east end of north wall a memorial to
Colonel John Birch, MP, died 1691. It is of white and grey marble with a
pedestal and semi-circular headed niche flanked by Corinthian columns support-
ing a broken pediment with trophies of arms flanking the main composition.
In niche a standing figure of a man in armour holding a baton. Set against
north wall an altar tomb bearing an early C15 effigy of a man in armour. In
south wall a two-centred recess with label, a pair of mid-C15 effigies of a
man in armour and a lady. The C14 font has an octagonal bowl with traceried
sides on a plain stem with a moulded base. The south door bears the initials
SH, IB and CHW, and the date 1712 on a small shield. (RCHM, 3, pp 192-195;
BoE, pp 311-312).

Listing NGR: SO4017451865

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.