Church of St Mary, Brobury with Monnington on Wye
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150009
OS Grid Reference: SO3735543325
OS Grid Coordinates: 337355, 243325
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0847, -2.9156
Location: Monnington Walk, Monnington on Wye, County of Herefordshire HR4 7NL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
MONNINGTON-ON-WYE CP MONNINGTON-ON-WYE
SO 34 SE
4/50 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C15 tower, rest rebuilt in 1679 by Uvedall and Mary Tomkins.
Ashlar with graduated stone tile roof. C15 west tower, nave, north porch
and chancel. West tower of three stages with crenellated parapet, the
merlons pierced, the moulded cornice below with water spouts. Belfry has
windows, each of two trefoiled lights, first stage windows square-headed.
The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head. Nave:
north wall of two bays, the window in the eastern bay has a window of two
tiers of two semi-circular headed lights under a square head with moulded
label. North porch to west is gabled bearing an armorial achievement, with
above it a scrolled panel bearing the initials V and M T and the date 1679.
The outer arch is semi-elliptical and moulded. The north door has chamfered
jambs and a segmental arch cut in one stone. The south wall has two windows
similar to that in the north wall. The chancel has one window in the north
and south walls similar to those of the nave. The east window is of three
transomed and semi-elliptical headed lights under a semi-ellipitcal head
with a moulded label. In the gable above there is an armorial achievement.
Interior: the tower arch has plain jambs and a chamfered two-centred arch.
The chancel arch is segmental pointed with a small chamfer. Roof is a
depressed segmental plastered vault. The chancel roof is of two bays,
the truss having a steeply cambered tie-beam. Fittings: almost all of
1679. Oak chancel screen with large central opening and four bays on each
side with open upper panels with barley-sugar posts and semi-circular arches.
Communion table with barley-sugar balusters matching those of communion rail.
Two enclosed pews against the screen. Nave has benches with turned front legs,
shaped arms and panelled backs. The pulpit, which has been reduced in height,
is hexagonal with two tiers of arcaded panelling and barley-sugar balusters
to corners. On south wall above pulpit an elaborate Royal Coat of Arms
with the initials CR2, formerly on the chancel screen. The font has an
octagonal basin on an octagonal pier with moulded base. Bowl inscribed
"T/ VM/ 1680". Wooden cover with ball finial as handle. To tower a gate
with barley-sugar balusters. In north-east corner of nave memorial to
Robert Perrott, died 1667, with bust of man in recess flanked by Composite
columns, broken pediment and cartouche of arms. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 151-2;
BoE, pp 254-5).
Listing NGR: SO3735743324
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.