If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Mary, Almeley

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150370

OS Grid Reference: SO3327451501
OS Grid Coordinates: 333274, 251501
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1577, -2.9768

Location: Church Terrace, Almeley, Herefordshire HR3 6LB

Locality: Almeley
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR3 6LB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Almeley Castle, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

ALMELEY CP -
SO 35 SW
1/1 Church of St Mary
2.9.66
GV I
Parish church. C13 and C14 with later alterations. Sandstone rubble
and sandstone dressings with stone slate roofs. Four-bay aisled nave,
two-bay chancel with north vestry, west tower and south porch. West tower
is embattled with high battered plinth and three stages, the top two of
which are separated by moulded strings. The three faces of the two lower
stages each have a central loop. Clock face, probably early C20, above
the upper loop of the north face. Each side of the top stage has a
restored 2-light opening with ogeed head to each light and labels and head
stops. The moulded string below the parapet has a diagonal waterspout to
each corner. Above the upper loop of the west side is a single medieval
head. Weathercock to centre of roof. North elevation of nave has clerestorey
with three opposed 2-light traceried windows. The outer windows have cinquefoil-
headed lights; the centre trefoiled ogeed lights. All have a quatrefoil in the
tracery. North aisle has a traceried west window with two flat trefoil-headed
lights and a trefoil above. North elevation of north aisle has gable to left-
hand side containing a large 4-light traceried window. Each light has a trefoiled
head and above are two rows of quatrefoils in reticulated tracery. To the right
are a pair of 2-light windows, each light being trefoiled and ogee-headed. The
left one has a trefoil above. Between these windows is the north doorway with
a pointed segmental head and a nail-studded oak door. Three weathered buttresses
are evenly spaced along the wall and there are diagonal buttresses to
north-west and north-east corners. Above the west end of the aisle is a C19
octagonal chimney shaft. The 2-light window at the east end of the aisle has
a two-centred head, two trefoiled ogee lights and a quatrefoil above. Between
this window and the chancel is a newel turret to former rood loft. Chancel has
on the north side a pair of trefoiled lights, the vestry a gable containing a
pair of lancets and a C19 doorway with a shouldered lintel. The east return of
the vestry has a square headed 2-light mullioned window. Restored east window
has four trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoils in the tracery. South side of
chancel has two weathered buttresses and two restored windows each with two
trefoiled lights and a square head. Between is a priest's doorway with a double
chamfered two-centred arch and label. South elevation of nave is similar to
that of north elevation, but with a south porch having a two-centred chamfered
outer arch and a single-frame collar roof. South doorway has similar arch to
outer arch of porch and a nail-studded oak door. Interior has C14 open wagon
chancel roof with crested wall plates. C16 nave roof has trusses forming 6½
bays with angle struts to ties and slopes divided into panels. The two eastern
bays of the roof are boarded and decorated with large painted rosettes. Chancel
has ogee headed piscina to south wall. Alongside are sedilia in cill of south-
east window. Restored tomb recess in north wall has crockets. Doorway to vestry
has shouldered head. East window has C19 stained glass depicting saints. South-
east window has late C19 stained glass of the Annunciation and Nativity. Later
C19 oak and brass communion rails. Early C20 organ with oak case, inscribed
WG VOWLES/ BRISTOL. Wall monument on south side to Henry Mason, died 1794,
in black and grey marble. Brass plaque for Henry Allen, dated 1767. On north
wall monument for Thomas Carwardin, died 1746 has three cherubs surrounding
inscription. Late C19 brass candelabrum in form of a wheel with eight candle-
sticks hangs from middle of roof. Late C19 or early C20 chancel screen incor-
porating earlier elements. Vestry has two-bay wagon roof with curved braces
and trefoil-headed wind-braces, perhaps C14. Chancel arch is C14 with two-
centred head and two orders. Label with headstops and carved head to apex of
outer order. Corbel heads support inner arch. High-set doorway on north side
to former rood loft has triangular head. Nave arcade has octagonal piers with
moulded capitals and bases and two-centred double chamfered arches. Doorway to
stairs to former roodloft from north aisle has flat cinquefoiled head. Low
two-centred tower arch is filled with C17 panelling comprising four turned
balusters and two flat barleysugar balusters respectively to right and left of
filleted door. Above the tower arch is a blocked segmental opening. Font is
C19 octagonal with two pairs of ogee-headed panels to each face of bowl. Con-
temporary oak pulpit has trefoiled panels. Eastern pews have desks with C17
panelling incorporating grotesques and arch motifs. Two candelabra like that
in chancel. Two matching wall monuments to either side of tower arch for Thomas
and William Foley, died 1822 and 1828, with single urn to cornice of each. Wall
memorial plaque to the 17 men of the parish who died from 1914 - 19 and six from
1939 - 45. (BoE, p 65; RCHM, Vol III, p 4 - 6).


Listing NGR: SO3327251502

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |