If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter and St Paul, Eye, Moreton and Ashton

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 150491

OS Grid Reference: SO4964063809
OS Grid Coordinates: 349640, 263809
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2701, -2.7394

Location: Eye, County of Herefordshire HR6 0DT

Locality: Eye, Moreton and Ashton
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR6 0DT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

EYE, MORETON &
SO 46 SE ASHTON CP

6/1 Church of St Peter and
St Paul
11.6.59
GV I
Parish church. Late C12 and early C13, early C14 alterations to north
chapel and to chancel, late C14 north porch. Restoration of 1874 by Chick
when west tower added or rebuilt and south vestry added. Sandstone rubble
with dressings of the same material, tiled roofs. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles and north porch, chancel; north chapel and south
vestry. West tower: four stages with two string courses and embattled
parapet with gargoyles at corners, pair of lancets to north and south,
pairs of two-centred arched headed openings with two trefoil-headed lights
and lozenge pattern infill tracery to each side of bell stage, clock face
to north side. Nave: three clerestorey windows with quatrefoils in rectangular
surrounds, south aisle; Y-tracery window inserted in semi-circular headed
former doorway to left of two square-headed windows with two trefoil headed
lights. North aisle; square-headed window with two trefoil headed lights
to left and similar window to right of largely restored partly timber-framed
north porch; outer entrance has moulded posts and curved braces forming a
two-centred arch below the tie-beam, decorative bargeboard, north doorway
has semi-circular headed arch of two moulded orders, the inner continuous
and the outer springing from attached shafts with foliated capitals. North
chapel; lancet to north side to left of blocked semi-circular headed doorway,
early C14 east window of three pointed lights. C19 south vestry with two-
centred arched head to window with two trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil
in roundel. Chancel: late C13 window of one trefoil-headed light to south,
the early C14 east window has a two-centred arched head with three trefoil-
headed lights and tracery. Interior: the nave has north and south arcades
of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders springing
from cylindrical piers with moulded bases and capitals, to the east of the
south arcade is a capital with scallop decoration. Partly restored C13
chancel arch of two chamfered orders; outer continuous and inner springing
from half-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The
chancel has a two-bay arcade to the north with segmental pointed arches of
two chamfered orders springing from semi-circular responds and central
cylindrical pier; moulded bases and foliated capitals. In the south wall
of the chancel and to the west is a single lancet window (now blocked to
exterior by the addition of the C19 vestry) with attached shafts to splays.
The north chapel has an early C14 two-centred headed arch to the west of
two moulded orders, the outer having shaped stops and the inner springing
from corbels with carved heads. C15 four-bay roof to nave with moulded tie-
beams, purlins and wall-plates. The tie-beam of the third truss is carved
with running vine ornament to both faces, C15 chancel roof of two bays with
open arch-braced truss and moulded members. C15 roof to north chapel if two
bays with central tie-beam supporting four upright struts, moulded purlins
and wall-plates. Fittings: corbels to east of nave marking position of former
rood, one with carved head. Late C13 or early C14 font with octagonal bowl,
restored stem. C17, partly restored, three-sided pulpit with three horizontal
divisions, arabesque ornamentation to top and bottom panels, middle range with
enriched arches and figures, two panels have the names of church wardens and the
date 1681. Piscina in chancel with trefoiled head and similar piscina in north
chapel. Monuments in north chapel, attributed to Sir Rowland Cornewall, c1520,
effigy of Knight resited on a C19 or early C20 chest tomb. Sir Richard Cornwall
and wife c1540; reclining effigies on contemporary chest tomb with moulded base
and capping; sides carved with weepers representing the sons and daughters.
North wall of chapel: wall tablet commemorating three sons of Lord Cawley,
died 1914-18 designed by Sir Reginaid Blomfield in the style of Wren. (RCHM,
Vol 3, p 58, BoE, p 129).


Listing NGR: SO4964363812

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.