If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Michael, Bockleton

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 18 April 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150689

OS Grid Reference: SO5930261428
OS Grid Coordinates: 359302, 261428
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2495, -2.5975

Location: Bockleton Road, Bockleton, Worcestershire WR15 8PP

Locality: Bockleton
Local Authority: Malvern Hills District Council
County: Worcestershire
Country: England
Postcode: WR15 8PP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Bockleton, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

BOCKLETON CP BOCKLETON
SO 56 SE
5/2 Church of St Michael
18.4.66

GV II*

Parish church. C12, altered mid-C13 with additions of circa 1560 and C17;
restored in 1862 by Woodyer. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-
tiled roof laid in diminishing courses with parapets and cross-finials at
east gable ends. West tower, four-bay nave with opposing north/south door-
ways and two-bay chancel with north chapel. West tower: added late C16 to
early C17. Three diminishing stages with battered plinth and divided by
strings. Lower stage has an original Y-tracery west window and a later
north doorway with a segmental head. There is a circular west window on
the second stage. The belfry stage has pairs of cusped, pointed, louvred
bell chamber openings and above is an embattled parapet. Nave: easternmost
bay is expressed externally by pilaster buttresses and both elevations have
a C13 window of three stepped cusped lights with a hoodmould. To the west
of these in both walls are two original round-headed windows which flank the
doorways. Both doorways project and are surmounted by a blind arcade. The
north doorway is of two orders with two large roll mouldings between cable
mouldings with an outer band of embattled and lozenge enrichment. The jambs
have detached shafts with scalloped capitals and the spandrels have a vertical
billet moulding on each side and are carved with flowers in circles. The
arcade above is of five bays, stands upon an enriched string course; the
arches are enriched and their outer mouldings intersect. The south doorway
is of a single order with a four-bay blind arcade but otherwise similarly
detailed. The enriched string course beneath the blind arcades is continued
as a chamfered and quirked string course which is stopped on each side of the
windows and buttresses. The north string is discontinued to the west of the
doorway. Chancel: mid-C13. The east end has angle corner buttresses and a C19
window of five lights with a hoodmould and block stops and a sill string.
The south elevation has two C13 pairs of cusped lancets with hoodmoulds and,
between them, a blocked C13 doorway also with a hoodmould. The north chapel
dates from circa 1560. It has a 3-light east window and two 2-light north
windows; all are C19 and have hoodmoulds. At the west gable end is a cusped
pointed doorway and there is a cusped lancet in the gable apex; these are also
of C19 date. Interior: chancel has a C19 arcade of two bays with a central
circular column and two pointed arches opening onto the chapel. West of the
arcade is a C16 tomb recess with a segmental head and roll moulding (possibly
part of the original chancel arch). Nave and chancel have ashlared collar
rafter roofs; west part of chancel roof and collar and tie-beam truss in chancel
are possibly original. Stone reredos with foliated carving, piscina and
sedilia are C19. Traceried, arcaded timber chancel screen, circular font with
head reliefs and arcaded detailing and three-sided timber pulpit, all C19.
Memorials: Barneby memorials in north chapel include tomb chest with demi-
figures and shields with two elaborately carved recumbent effigies of Richard
Barneby, died 1597, and his wife Mary, died 1574. On wall behind are figures
of five sons and four daughters in relief flanked by demi-figures. Also, large
marble memorial to Charles Baldwyn, died 1706, and tomb chest to William
Wolstenholme Prescott by Woolner of 1865. Glass: east window is by Kempe of
c1905; also fragment of medieval glass in north-east nave window. (VCH IV,
p 244-5; BoE, p 94).


Listing NGR: SO5930261428

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |