If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 18 April 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150707
OS Grid Reference: SO6264663515
OS Grid Coordinates: 362646, 263515
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2685, -2.5488
Explore more of the area around Kyre, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
KYRE CP KYRE PARK
SO 66 SW
6/20 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12, with early C14 and circa 1700 additions; restored circa
1833. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled and slate roofs,
and weatherboarded timber bell turret with copper roofing. Three-bay nave
with west porch, west bell turret and south chapel, two-bay chancel built at
an angle to the nave inclining to the north. Nave: C12, west end has C14
chamfered doorway and above it is a C19 cusped lancet. The timber-framed
gabled porch was built in 1894 and has arch-braced tie-beam inner and outer
roof trusses and arch-braced wall-plates. The dated is carved on the apex
of the outer truss. The north elevation has a central original round-headed
light flanked by 2-light windows with square heads and hoodmoulds; the eastern-
most window is probably early C14 whilst the westernmost is C19. The bell turret
is probably circa 1700. It is square in plan with pairs of pointed louvred bell
chamber openings. The copper-clad, splay-footed spire has a finial and weather-
vane. South chapel: early C14 with unusually thick walls for its date. There
are angled corner buttresses with offsets and also a buttress with offsets at
the centre of the south elevation. The east end window is large and of three
lights with reticulated tracery. The south side elevation has two 2-light
windows with hoodmoulds and at the west end is a chamfered doorway and above
it an ashlar clockface with a moulded rim. Chancel: C12. There are C14 diagonal
buttresses at the east end and a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery.
In the north elevation there is a cusped lancet at the western end and in the
south elevation there is an early C14 window of two lights at the eastern end.
There appears to have once been a south-west window too, probably blocked in C18.
Interior: Pointed chamfered chancel arch was rebuilt in C19. The wide, acutely
pointed, early C14 arch from the nave into the chapel is of two chamfered orders;
it has been blocked and a small doorway inserted. The roofs throughout are of
the ashlared collar rafter type and of C14 date. At the west end of the nave
is a tie-beam truss, the tie-beam of which is moulded and supported on carved
brackets. At the north-east end of the chancel some small deep rectangular holes
have been pierced in the wall, the purpose of which is unknown. Also in the
chancel is a square aumbry and a plain piscina with a three-sided head. The
altar table has turned legs and dates from the C17 and the altar rails have
turned balusters and are circa 1750. The plain, circular font is C12 on a
modern base and there is a C19 stone pulpit. Both the nave and chancel have
dados made up of C17 and C18 panelling and the chapel also has some C18 panell-
ing attached to its south wall. The thick oak pews are of C16 origin with C18
panelled ends. In the chapel there is an oak bier dated 1682 with the initials
"I S", a C15 helmet and a parish chest of possible C14 date carved out of a
single log. On the plastered jambs of the south-west window are remains of
C14 wall paintings. Memorials: the chancel has two marble monuments flanked
by columns with broken segmental pediments and coats of arms above. The east-
ernmost one has spiral columns and commemorates Catherine Pytts, died 1702,
and the westernmost commemorates Edward Pytts, died 1672. There are also other
memorials to members of the Pytts family, including a sarcophagus relief to
Johnathan Pytts, died 1807. On the south wall of the chapel is a tablet to
Hugh Thomas, died 1693, and there is also a floor slab to Elizabeth Brockwale,
died 1618, at the east end of the chapel. (VCH, IV, p 283-4; BoE, p 210).
Listing NGR: SO6264663515
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.