British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Stoke Bliss Church, Stoke Bliss

Description: Stoke Bliss Church

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 18 April 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150739

OS Grid Reference: SO6514262850
OS Grid Coordinates: 365142, 262850
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2627, -2.5121

Location: Stoke Bliss, Worcestershire WR15 8QJ

Locality: Stoke Bliss
Local Authority: Malvern Hills District Council
County: Worcestershire
Country: England
Postcode: WR15 8QJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Stoke Bliss, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 66 SE
Stoke Bliss Church
(formerly listed as Parish


Parish church. C12 origins, extended early and mid-C13, restored in 1854.
Sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar and some tufa dressings; plain tiled
roof with decorative ridge tiles and shingled spire to bell-tower. South-
west tower, four-bay nave with lean-to south aisle and two-bay chancel with
north vestry. Tower was added in 1854 and replaces a former west bell-turret.
It is of two stages with a chamfered plinth and intermediate string, and has
angle corner buttresses with offsets and small subsidiary buttresses set
between them. The lower stage has a pair of cusped lancets in the west
elevation and there is a pointed-lobed quatrefoil window immediately below
the string in both east and west elevations. The main entrance in the south
elevation has a chamfered pointed doorway with a hoodmould and head stops and
above there is a clockface set in a cusped square niche. The belfry stage has
pointed bell-chamber openings of two louvred lights and above there is a broach
spire with a finial and weathervane. Nave: the thickness of the north wall
indicates that it is probably C12. The south aisle was added circa 1260 and
the west wall was rebuilt in 1854. The C19 west window is composed of a pair
of cusped lancets with a trefoil between the arched heads. The north elevation
has a buttress with offsets at the west end and four pairs of C19 cusped lancets
with a continuous sill band. The south aisle has a lean-to catslide roof. At
the eastern end of the south wall is a tall C13 half-dormer window with a gable-
end parapet, a 2-light pointed window and above, within the gable, is a small
ogee-arched cusped niche. The wall west of the dormer has been refaced and
has two pairs of cusped C19 lancets. There is a C19 cusped lancet at the east
end. The chancel dates from the early C13 but the east end wall was rebuilt
in the C19. At the east end are three stepped cusped lancets with two trefoil
windows and a central quatrefoil window above. To the left of the window is
a large buttress with offsets. The side elevations have buttresses at their
eastern end. The south elevation has two original lancet windows and, between
them, a C19 pointed doorway with a hoodmould and head stops. East of the door-
way is the remains of a wall memorial with two corbels supporting a moulded
base. The north vestry is C19 and has a lean-to roof, a lancet in the north
end and the east side. There is an octagonal ashlar chimney to the east of
the vestry. Interior: south arcade has four pointed arches of two chamfered
orders enclosed by a hoodmould on large circular columns and responds. The
three easternmost bays are of circa 1260, the rest is C19. The tower base
serves as a porch and C19 pointed archways lead into the south aisle and the
nave. The pointed chancel arch is also C19. In the chancel a pointed opening
with a 3-light timber traceried window and a cusped square-headed doorway lead
into the vestry. The nave has a C19 arch-braced and cusped king-post roof.
The chancel has a C19 scissor-trussed roof. In the chancel is a C19 marble
reredos with cusped niches containing angel figure reliefs, a pointed piscina
and a traceried, arcaded Perpendicular chancel screen. The circular font is
C12 and the bowl is enriched by 12 shallow round-headed panels. The panelled
oak pulpit is dated 1631 and richly carved with foliated decoration. The read-
ing desk is similarly detailed and also has demi-figures in high relief between
the two main panels and above them a panel carved with grotesque animals and
inscribed "ROGER OSLAND CHURCHWARDEN 1635". In the vestry is a C17 oak table
with turned legs and a panelled oak chest of circa 1600. In the south aisle
is a trefoil-shaped piscina and on a window sill are set two angel corbels
and a coat of arms, probably from a wall memorial. At the south-east corner
of the tower are three medieval monumental slabs of sandstone (two being the
broken halves of a single slab) carved with cross reliefs. The C19 oil lamps
by Wright and Butler of Birmingham survive in the nave complete with their
wooden stands attached to the pews and reading desk. Memorials: in the chancel
is a memorial to Luke Ashby, died 1716, with scrolled corners, a C19 memorial
to Harriet Holland, died 1825, and another partially illegible one to Matthew
Bolton embedded in the wall. In the south aisle is a C19 memorial to Thomas
Hyde, died 1818, and to Henry Hyde, died 1798, with flanking pilasters decorated
with husks. There are also numerous floor slabs mainly of C17 and C18 date, to
members of the Pytts family. (VCH, IV, p 352-3; BoE, p 264).

Listing NGR: SO6514262850

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.