Parish Church (Dedication Unknown), Little Cowarne
Description: Parish Church (Dedication Unknown)
Date Listed: 9 June 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 151238
OS Grid Reference: SO6012151124
OS Grid Coordinates: 360121, 251124
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1569, -2.5843
Location: Little Cowarne, County of Herefordshire HR7 4RH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1133/12/258 PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)
Small rural Anglican church. C12/C13 in origin but heavily restored in 1870 by F R Kempson; W tower and S porch of 1911. Rubble masonry to the chancel, the nave and tower squared rubble brought to course; freestone dressings; slate roofs. Plan of nave, chancel, W tower and SW porch.
EXTERIOR: Unbuttressed chancel with 3-light C19 plate-traceried E window. The N wall has one round-headed C12 window, said to be re-set. The S wall has a window of 2 uncusped lights. Unbuttressed nave, the N side with a blocked arched doorway and 2 probably C19 round-headed windows. The S side of the nave has a 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights. Gabled S porch with a double-chamfered outer doorway and a plain arched inner doorway.
INTERIOR: Internal walls plastered and painted. C19 chamfered chancel arch on moulded stone corbels. C19 common rafter scissor-braced chancel roof with ashlar pieces and a wallplate with toothed decoration, pierced with stars and trefoils, with diagonal boarding behind the timbers. Similar nave roof with the addition of a low collar. Tall, thin, chamfered tower arch. The chancel has a plain piscina and aumbry and is floored with C19 encaustic tiles. Stout rustic choir stalls with poppyhead ends. Substantial polygonal stone pulpit on a square base, the sides carved with symbols under trefoil-headed arches. The font has a deep plain bowl on a square circular stem with a moulded foot. It appears to be C19, but the circular base is probably medieval. C19 benches with 3 different designs to the ends, but all with prominent tusk tenon fixings, used as decoration. C19 glass includes grisaille and a figure in the W window.
Grade II for a modestly-scaled church of medieval origins but very heavily-restored in 1870. The fittings are not outstanding
Listing NGR: SO6012151124
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.