Church of All Saints, Coddington
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 6 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 151401
OS Grid Reference: SO7183642680
OS Grid Coordinates: 371836, 242680
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0818, -2.4124
Location: Coddington, County of Herefordshire HR8 1JJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
MALVERN HILLS 5245
SO 74 SW CODDINGTON CP -
3/1 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 - C13 with restoration and enlargements by F R Kempson 1865-6.
Red, grey and green freestone; tiled roofs. Nave of 3 bays with long C12
chancel; south porch, vestry, organ chamber, western tower, broach spire by
Kempson. Nave and chancel have C13 lancets, the two tallest in the east
wall. 2 blocked Norman semi-circular headed doors to north wall of nave,
one opposite extant Norman doorhead from south porch and one opposite third
blocked Norman door in south wall. Priests' door to south wall of chancel.
Interior: nave roof is medieval or Jacobean with central longitudinal purlin,
arch braces supporting collars and curved struts to rafters producing wagon
roof effect. East window on south side of nave consists of trefoiled lancets
with fragments of C14 stained glass in the heads. Font: bowl and plinth C19;
stem consisting of block with attached shafts probably C13. Chancel arch on
corbels with coarse flat stiff-leave foliage. Reredos with foliated neo-
late-Norman interlacing round - headed arches supported by freestanding marble
columns. Oak altar rails with turned balusters: probably Victorian. Trefoil
headed piscina in south wall. 2 lancets in east wall to Kathleen Bulkeley,
died 1907, the left representing the Angel's Message designed by Burne-Jones;
the right, the Agony in the Garden designed by Morris and Co who executed
both. Kempson's restoration cost £1832 and was defrayed by Mrs Hope. (RCHM.
Information in church).
Listing NGR: SO7183642680
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.