St Katherine's Hospital and Almshouses, Ledbury
Description: St Katherine's Hospital and Almshouses
Date Listed: 18 September 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 151871
OS Grid Reference: SO7107237690
OS Grid Coordinates: 371072, 237690
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0369, -2.4231
Location: High Street, Ledbury, County of Herefordshire HR8 1DZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
5245 HIGH STREET
St Katherine's Hospital
(formerly listed as
St Katherine's Hospital)
SO 7137 NE 2/44 18.9.53.
Founded in 1232 by Bishop Foliot, but no part of original building remains. Now
has a central low stone tower above 4-centred arch gateway with wings on either
side. South wing was rebuilt in 1822 after designs of Sir Robert Smirke, 3 stone
gables with dripmoulds to windows. North wing was rebuilt in 1866 also with 3
gables and imitation timber framing and 3-light stone mullion windows. All leaded-pane
casements. Slate and tiled roofs. At rear is a continuous verandah on 1st floor
in timber, forming covered walk below.
Listing NGR: SO7107737646
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.