If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Emmanuel Evangelical Church
Date Listed: 22 June 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 152211
OS Grid Reference: SO7752945345
OS Grid Coordinates: 377529, 245345
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1060, -2.3295
Explore more of the area around Malvern, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
GREAT MALVERN (East Side)
SO 7745 SE 6/50
No 41 (Emmanuel
Former Non-conformist Chapel, now unused. 1874, by George and Henry Haddon.
Hammer-dressed ashlar, with plain ashlar dressings to walls, walls rendered below
road level on sides, slate roof, lead finish to spire. 'T' plan, head to road,
4-bay main body with wide gable to road, tower and spire project on left, lean-to
on right: set on steep slope to east, one storey below road. General: Norman
revival. Windows to main body of church and tower have leaded lights, roll
moulding to arris of main arch, with alternate red and cream voussoirs,
hoodmould above. Main facade to road, three-stage tower on left; lower two stages
with recessed centre, on either side low plinth, with tall, steep, plain ashlar
offset above and string course: string course extends as springing to archway to
doorway in recess, semi-circular head as windows: double boarded doors,
semi-circular light over, single recessed order with colonnette in angle. Above,
further string course at window sill level to second atage, with plain ashlar
course above: 2-light window in recess, divided by central column; semi-circular
heads to lights with roll moulding to arris on each, extending down jambs on each
side; above plate tracery with central circular light, all within semi-circular
main arch linking the sides, springing from a string course with capitals at each
corner. Above tall, plain ashlar offset; 3-light belfry window, lights divided by
columns, each light with two louvres and semi-circular head with hoodmould. String
course on either side; at springing level. Corbelled arched eaves in plain ashlar,
with spire above, with lucarne, and decorative wrought-iron weatnervane on apex.
To right, main gable of church, 3 two-stage recessed arches, centre wider than
sides. Low plinth as tower, slightly projecting porch in centre, with offset on
returns, moulded string with corner capitals, forming springing to semi-circular
arched doorway, head as main windows. Door and doorway as tower. Gable to porch,
with stone coping roof, floriate stone finial apex. Either side in recesses
2-light windows, each with trefoil head inside a semi-circular arch, flat
hoodmould over. Above, string course, plain ashlar course above, extending
similar from tower, and acting as window sill in the gable. In centre recess
3-light window, framed with narrow plain ashlar band with roll moulding, lights
separated by columns, all with trefoil heads, in the side-lights under
semicircular arches, in the centre a stilted pointed arch, all set under a plain
ashlar arch with alternating voussoirs of red and cream, main arch above,
springing from moulded string course extending that in the second stage to the
tower. In the recesses on each side 2-light windows, as in the second stage of
tower, but slightly narrower. Above, in the centre of the gable a plain trefoil,
with arched hoodmould, rising from corbels carved with figures: 'IN VIRTUTE
VICTORIA' carved in trefoil. Projecting verge to gable, stepped corbelled arches,
with slight saw-toothed projection above: plain copings with moulded edge, cross
gablet at foot on right, steep cross gablet apex carrying stone cross with circle.
To right of main gable low lean-to, plinth, plain, single-light window with
semi-circular head, plain copings, cross-gablet at foot. Right return: single bay
lean-to on left, plinth, plain wall above, plain projecting eaves, cross gablets
to feet of gable copings. Plain wall to main body of church above: immediately
on right square, buttresslike projection with cross-gablet trefoil to offset.
Lower part not inspected. Steps down against end wall of lean-to; lower level to
main body of church, half-glazed four-panel door on left, flat head; to right two
16-pane sashes with flat heads, dummy recess beyond. Above string course at road
level, against which the render stops. A further string course at window sill
level: three 2-light windows, lights separated by column with central stone ring,
capital, each light has a semi-circular head: circular light with glazed
spandrels above, all within semi-circular main arch, springing from plain ashlar
string course running the length of the facade. Projecting eaves course with small
arches on corbels, carrying decorative cast-iron gutter: two chimneys, blue brick bases,
yellow brick stalks with oversailing courses to head. At ends plain copings with
cross-gablet feet, gable on right with steep cross-gablet apex, as on the road
end, but without cross. Slates are in six bands, alternating green and blue, with
crested clay ridge, largely broken. Left return, tower base plain, above double
plinth; second stage and upwards is as the front. Beyond the tower is as the
right return, except the chimney bases are stone, and the heads of the chimneys
are heavier. Interior not inspected. Occupies prominent position on outside of
slow bend in Wells Road, and focal point, of Wyche Road which joins Wells Road a
little distance to the south on the opposite side to the church. The gable is
also prominent from Abbey Road below, which shows that the large arched east
window is presently blocked. Present building on the site of 1827 Countess of
Huntingdon Chapel; windows below road level may be from this building. It was
described as 'reformed episcopalian church of Emmanuel' when built in l874.
(Pevsner, Worcestershire, 1968; B.S. Smith, A History of Malvern, 1964).
Listing NGR: SO7752945345
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.