Church of St Mary, Donnington
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 18 November 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 152424
OS Grid Reference: SO7085434211
OS Grid Coordinates: 370854, 234211
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0056, -2.4260
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
DONNINGTON CP -
SO 73 SW
6/1 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Circa 1300, altered and restored subsequently; north aisle
1862; chancel extended, porch and bellcote, new windows and other works 1878.
Consists of nave with bell-turret at west, south porch, north aisle, chancel
and north vestry. Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings; plain
tiled roof. Nave of 2 windows, one with Y-tracery, all cusped; buttresses
with offsets at corners; timber bell-turret with pyramidal slate roof, trefoil
headed openings with quatrefoils above; sundial set at south-east. Projecting
gabled porch with an ashlar plinth and arcaded timber upper parts. North
aisle under catslide roof: 3 windows, single and 2-light with cinquefoil heads.
Chancel: C19 single and 2-light windows, all with cinquefoil heads. Interior:
3 bay arcade to north aisle, octagonal piers and double chamfered arches;
pointed chancel arch. Monument in chancel to Edward Webb, died 1855, by Lew
of Cheltenham, marble, draped flags and arms with sword and hat. (N Pevsner,
The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963. RCHM, Herefordshire, Vol II,
Listing NGR: SO7085434211
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.