Church of St John the Baptist, Eastnor
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 18 November 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 152465
OS Grid Reference: SO7313437227
OS Grid Coordinates: 373134, 237227
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0328, -2.3930
Location: 2 Upper Road, Eastnor, County of Herefordshire HR8 1RB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
EASTNOR CP UPPER ROAD Eastnor
SO 73 NW (west side)
4/38 Church of St John the Baptist
C12, altered C13 and C15; tower remodelled C14; restored and mostly rebuilt
in 1852 by Sir G G Scott. Consists of west tower, nave and south porch,
north aisle and organ space and north or Somers chapel and chancel. Ashlar,
rubble and coursed squared rubble to the tower: plain tiled roofs. West
tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet; the top is of
a different stone and is unbuttressed; setback pyramidal roof, weathervane
on ball finial; 3-light Perpendicular style west window and moulded west
doorway; single round-headed lights to second stage and 2-light C14 style
windows to bell chamber; square stairtower projects at north-east. Nave:
two C19 Geometric style windows and buttresses with off-sets. Projecting,
gabled, timber-framed porch has trefoil headed arcade on an ashlar base.
Restored south doorway of one order of columns with trumpet-scallop capitals
and a plain arch. Chancel: 2 fine C19 2-light windows in an early - mid
C14 style with much ball-flower ornament and under hoodmoulds with head stops;
ball-flower ornamented wall plate; priests' door under large trefoil head,
ornamented with fleurons and ball-flower; 3-light Geometric style east window,
also profuse with ball-flower ornament. North aisle is plain with 3 narrow
slit windows. Somers chapel: angle buttresses with gabled heads; 3 lancet
windows divided by a transom, trefoil heads to lower part and a large trefoil
light above, under a hoodmould with head stops; decorated band over: Interior:
3 bay arcade to north chapel has octagonal piers and double chamfered arches;
the east capital has trumpet-scallops. Double ware-moulded tower arch. Font
and pulpit of 1852 in a heavy Gothic style, of carved freestones and marble
shafts. Circular tub font in north aisle. Enriched Gothic style screen.
Reredos of 1896, incorporating carved friezes and other parts of a monument
from Siena. Glass: east window by Kempe; Somers chapel east window by
Wilmhurst and Oliphant, 1884. Monuments. Tower: 2 designed by James Stuart
and executed by Thomas Scheemakers;to Joseph Cocks died 1778, in brown and
white marble, a sarcophagus with a profile in a roundel and putti above;
and to Mary Cocks, died 1779, in marble, a seated woman by an urn, set
against drapery, and with a putto at the right. Somers chapel: to first
Earl Somers, died 1855, by Sir G G Scott, a freestone chest with religious
scenes in trefoiled arcading, all set in depressed arched niche; to 3rd
Earl, died 1883 by Sir J E Boehm, a grey marble chest tomb with a white
marble recumbent effigy; marble tablets to John Cocks, died 1771, an urn
in front of an obelisk; Edward Cocks, died 1782, by Thomas Scheemakers,
a marble plaque with books, a cap and a lamb at the foot; Charles Cocks 1806.
Rev John Fletcher, died 1797, also by Stuart and Scheemakers (Pevsner), stand-
ing female figure by an urn and in front of an obelisk. A high quality but
small and little known masterpiece by Scott at a cost of £1506 Os 3d.
(N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963; RCHM, Vol II, 1932.)
Listing NGR: SO7313437226
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.