Church of St Lawrence, Stretton Grandison
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 6 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 153121
OS Grid Reference: SO6328544073
OS Grid Coordinates: 363285, 244073
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0938, -2.5373
Location: A417, Stretton Grandison, County of Herefordshire HR8 2TS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
STRETTON GRANDISON CP STRETTON GRANDISON
SO 64 SW
5/158 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C14 rebuilding of earlier C12 structure. C17 porch,
restored mid-C19 with addition of north vestry. Coursed and squared
sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave with
south porch and chancel with north vestry. West tower: three stages
with diagonal buttressing, embattled parapet and octagonal spire, window
of single trefoiled light to south of second stage, single ogee-headed
lights to vents of belfry stage. Nave: three bays, one window with two
trefoiled ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil to left and two similar windows
to right of gabled south porch with chamfered inner doorway, similar arrange-
ment to north with blocked door. Chancel: two bays, square-headed window
to left with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights, single trefoiled ogee-headed
light to right flanking square-headed doorway with moulded jambs. Interior:
C15 trussed rafter roof, blocked doorway in east wall of nave to former
rood loft with traces of upper doorway also visible; chancel arch of two
chamfered orders, inner dying onto responds. Fittings: restored C14 font,
hexagonal bowl with quatrefoil panel to each facet, plain stem and base.
C15 pulpit, four-sided with trefoiled and cusped heads to panels with
further traceried details. Monuments: Hopton memorial on north wall of
chancel, wall tablet, 1668, sandstone and alabaster broken pediment
supported by twisted columns with Ionic capitals, two central inscription
panels with semi-circular heads, further swag and cherub head enrichments,
commemmorates Edward Hopton, died 1668, and Deborah Hatton, his second wife
died 1702; south wall of nave, Taylor mamorial, wall tablet, 1676, sandstone
enriched border with cherub head commemmorates John Taylor, died 1676.
Fragment of wall painting depicting St Christopher above south door.
Listing NGR: SO6328444071
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.