If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Lawrence
Date Listed: 25 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 153400
OS Grid Reference: SO8344651525
OS Grid Coordinates: 383446, 251525
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1617, -2.2434
Explore more of the area around Powick, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
POWICK CP -
SO 85 SW
3/84 Church of St Peter
and St Lawrence
Church. C13 and C14, with C12 remains and C15 tower. Restored 1845 and
1896-7. Squared sandstone, with ashlar tower and tile roof. Comprises a
west tower, north and south aisles and transepts, and lower chancel. Tower
has diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are of
three trefoiled lights under pointed traceried heads. The lights have
pierced C19 stone infill. The west window is of four cinquefoiled lights
with C19 mullions and tracery. The west doorway is also C19 and has a Tudor-
arched head. The aisles are C14 and each have three windows of two trefoiled
ogee lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The west window of the north
aisle is similar. The west window of the south aisle is of a single trefoiled
light. Between the second and third windows of the north aisle is a doorway
with straight-sided pointed head. A blocked doorway between the first and
second windows of the south aisle is wave-moulded and has a pointed arch. The
transepts are of C12 origin. The north transept has a narrow chamfered round-
headed C12 window in both its west and east walls. The north window is of
five cinquefoiled ogee lights with Perpendicular tracery. The second window
in the east wall is C13, of three trefoiled lights with a large triangular
foiled opening above. The west wall of the south transept has a re-tooled
window of two lights with Y-tracery. The east wall has a similar window, and
a narrow C12 window with round head. The south window is of four pointed
lights under a straight-sided pointed arch with tracery. The chancel is C13.
The east end of the north wall has two lancets and two string courses. At the
west end is a C14 window of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil. To its left
is a doorway with pointed arch. In the south wall are three C14 windows similar
to the one on the north side. Between the second and third windows is a blocked
doorway with canted head and raised chamfered surround. In the centre of the
nave roof is a ridge tile with clay finial. Interior: reveals of pointed tower
arch have blank tracery decoration. C19 stone screen divides tower from nave.
The five-bay nave arcades are of pointed arches chamfered in two orders. The
octagonal piers have moulded capitals and are wave-moulded in two orders. Above
the nave is a collar rafter-roof with soulaces and ashlar pieces. The aisle
roofs have moulded principals and purlins. The eastern arches are separated
from the others and open into the transepts, which have transverse arches opening
into the aisles. The chancel arch is chamfered in two orders, the inner order
springing from foliated corbels. The roof has king-post trusses with iron straps.
The C13 east window has banded shafts with foliated caps. The font is C14 and
has an octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels which stands on a panelled and
moulded stem and base. Memorials on the walls of the north transept include
one to Daniel Tyas (died 1673) with Latin inscription and allegorical figures,
and one to Mary Russell (1758 - 1786). The latter is by Thomas Scheemakers and
has a semi-reclining female figure and a sarcophagus carved with mother and
child and muscial instruments. (VCH, Vol 4, p 189; BoE, p 245).
Listing NGR: SO8344651524
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.