If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter, Peterchurch

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 153780

OS Grid Reference: SO3449638520
OS Grid Coordinates: 334496, 238520
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0412, -2.9564

Location: Church Road, Peterchurch, County of Herefordshire HR2 0RW

Locality: Peterchurch
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 0RW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

SO 33 NW PETERCHURCH CP B 4348 (off west side)
Peterchurch

9/158 Church of St Peter

26/1/67
I


Parish church. Mid-C12 with late C13/early C14 alterations, and restorations
of 1869, 1879, 1906 and the early 1980's. Rubble with sandstone dressings,
tiled roofs and fibre glass spire. Late C13 west tower; nave and chancel in
two divisions with apse, mid-C12, north porch 1888. West tower: late C13 with
stone spire, reduced to a stump c1950 and replaced in early 1980's in fibre
glass. Five stages, offset to top stage, plain parapet, battered plinth with
string, stepped diagonal buttresses; belfry openings of 2-trefoiled lights
under 2-centred heads, square-headed window in east wall of fourth stage below
clock face; third stage: each wall has a single trefoiled light window; door
in north wall of first stage with 2-centred head, single trefoiled light window
to west; ground floor: south wall: narrow door with cinquefoil head, chamfered
jambs, with relieving-arch above. Nave: south wall: 2 trefoiled light window
under 2-centred head to west end, late C13; to right mid-C12 south door, semi-
circular head, enriched by chevroned and billeted label; plain tympanum;
engaged shafts with scalloped capitals; to east a C12 semi-circular-headed
window and 2 late C19 lancets. North wall: two C12 semi-circular-headed windows
flank stone north porch of 1888; north door: C14 with 2-centred head of two orders
and label; two C12 semi-circular-headed windows; C14 window to east of 2 trefoiled
lights under 2-centred head; to east of this two small restored C12 semi-circular-
headed windows, one above the other, lighting staircase, pilaster buttress to
corner. Chancel: west division: late C13 2 trefoiled light window with 2-centred
head cut through C12 window to west, to east a C12 semi-circular-headed window,
same in north and south walls; east division: restored cornice with roll mould-
ing; one C12 semi-circular-headed window in north wall reflected on south wall,
with additionally a C13 lancet to west; apse: dividied into 3 panels by pilaster
buttresses, restored string with cable decoration below windows, roll to edge
of cornice; one semi-circular-headed C12 window to each panel. Interior: chancel:
arch to apse semi-circular of 2 plain orders with enriched chamfered imposts;
arch between east and west divisions: semi-circular of 2 orders on west face,
enriched with chevron ornament, and enriched chamfered imposts; arch to nave:
semi-circular of 2 plain orders to west with enriched chamfered imposts. In
north-west corner square-headed entrance to spiral staircase, which is probably
C12 providing access to a presumed lost tower over the west division of the
chancel. Nave: crude segmental headed opening to north-east corner from stair-
case, possibly providing access to lost rood. Late C13 tower door with 2-centred
head of 2 chamfered orders; C13 first floor door above with 2-centred head.
Piscina in south wall of nave: cinquefoil head, quatrefoil drain, C14. Roofs:
nave: late C19 coupled rafter roof with collars, straight angle braces and
ashlar pieces, central tie-beam with crown post, collar purlin; chancel: west
division: probably C17, restored late C19, 2 bays, tie-beam truss with collar
and 4 queen struts; east division: similar to west division. Fittings: altar:
stone slab with 5 consecration crosses, chamfered soffit, on C18/C19 pedestal.
South door, planks nailed to battens, C12/C13 strap hinges with bifurcated
terminals. Font: tub shaped bowl, cable and chevron ornament to rim, cable
to base, C12. There is a medieval stone coffin near the north porch (not
included). (RCHM 1, pp 209/213).


Listing NGR: SO3449238519

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |