The Cwm, Front Terrace and Retaining Wall to South-West, Llanrothal
Description: The Cwm, Front Terrace and Retaining Wall to South-West
Date Listed: 3 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 153949
OS Grid Reference: SO4889717634
OS Grid Coordinates: 348897, 217634
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8549, -2.7434
Location: Llanrothal, County of Herefordshire NP25 5RW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 41 NE LLANROTHAL CP LLANROTHAL
4/155 The Cwm, Front Terrace
and retaining wall to
Shooting box, now farmhouse. c.1830s, on site of and incorporating part of a
demolished C17 house. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; low-
pitched hipped slate roofs with wide eaves. Roughly T-plan facing South, with
2 extensions to West, one (to South-West) being a C17 survival, the other (to
North-West, from the stem of the T) being a long kitchen range. Informal front.
Two storeys, cellar and attic, lit from rear; 2:3 windows,
glazing bar sashes,the 2 left-hand ones in a hipped break, blank to 1st floor
right; stuccoed portico in angle with fluted Doric columns in antis, arched
doorway with plain fanlight and panelled door. Mipped bay window to right hand
return and lower possibly late C18 rear range with arched stair window at join
Set-back to left of front is a significant survival of the earlier house - a
single-storey-and-attic cottage (?one-time kitchen wing) now stone-clad and
with 2 gabled half-dormers and Gothick glazing and doorway to front; 3-light
wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded window (no glass grooves) survives to rear. Inside
are 2 pairs of upper crucks formerly with a collar purlin, evidence of former
newel stair to right of large fire-place, evidence also that the masonry is a
secondary cladding; heavy cross-beam and chamfered joists; the ground rises
steeply to West and there is a gable entry to first floor. Attached to South-
West corner of this survival is a short stretch of retaining wall about 10 yards
long and about 14 feet high to base with bee-boles on its North-West side.
Broad terrace in front of house to lend air of gentility.
Site of one-time Headquarters of Jesuit Mission in South Tales established by
1600 and by 1622 of the clandestine Jesuit Province; in 1678, as a result of
the Titus Oates Plot, raided and disbanded by the Bishop of Hereford. (Foley
history of the Jesuits in England( ) Vol.IV p.462ff; Duncomb Vol.VI (Hundred
of Wormelow); RCHM Vol.II p.172).
Listing NGR: SO4889717634
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.