Church of St Mary, Credenhill
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 27 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 154217
OS Grid Reference: SO4503043882
OS Grid Coordinates: 345030, 243882
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0905, -2.8037
Location: Credenhill, County of Herefordshire HR4 7DJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
CREDENHILL CP CREDENHILL
SO 44 SE
5/32 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12 nave, chancel arch c1200, chancel 1300, C14 west tower,
C15 south porch, restoration of 1861 and 1876. Coursed sandstone rubble,
coursed and squared sandstone rubble to west tower, part timber-framed south
porch, Welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and
north vestry. West tower: three stages with squat pyramidal roof, two string
courses, plain corbel table below roof, trefoiled-ogee headed light to second
stage and plain square-headed vent to bell stage. Nave: one C19 window with
two cusped lights and quatrefoil to left and two similar C19 windows, one with
trefoil, to right of south porch. The north wall retains a C13 lancet and a
late C13 window of two trefoil-headed lights and trefoil. South porch: timber-
framed on sandstone plinth, moulded main posts with capitals to outer doorway,
moulded braces to tie-beam, cusped struts above, close-studding to returns,
moulded purlins and rafters with bosses at intersections to roof. Chancel:
early C14 trefoil-headed light to left, C14 ogee-headed light and early C14
window of two trefoil-headed lights with trefoil to right of re-set c1200
semi-circular headed doorway. North wall retains an early C14 window of two
trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil partly obscured by the C19 vestry. East
window: mid-C14 three trefoiled ogee-headed lights with flowing tracery.
Interior: Nave: C13 three-bay roof with intermediate trusses, main trusses have
collars and moulded tie-beams with inclined struts; open arch-braced intermediate
trusses with trefoils in spandrels. Two rows of purlins with wind-bracing,
chancel roof appears altered retaining some original members. Chancel arch;
C13 two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, outer continuous, plain impost
to inner, flanked by C19 cusped openings (possibly pierced side altars).
Fittings: Font dated 1667 with inscription, the gift of John Squier of Colford,
moulded base and stem, cylindrical bowl with fluting and rosettes, bread and
reel mouldings below capping. Monuments: Cholmeley memorial wall monument 1669
broken segmental pediment supported on Ionic columns commemorates John Cholmeley,
Armiger. Stained glass: fragment of C14, figure of bishop and figure of arch
bishop in south-west window of chancel, possibly St Thomas of Canterbury and
St Thomas of Hereford, further fragments in north-east window of nave.
(RCHM Vol II, p 64-65; BoE, p 107-108).
Listing NGR: SO4502943883
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.