Church of St Mary, Stoke Edith
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 155029
OS Grid Reference: SO6040340656
OS Grid Coordinates: 360403, 240656
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0629, -2.5790
Location: Stoke Edith, County of Herefordshire HR1 4HG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
STOKE EDITH CP STOKE EDITH
SO 64 SW
Church of St Mary (Formerly
26.1.67 listed as Parish Church)
Parish church. C14 west tower with C17 recessed needle spire capped in
1940, nave and chancel rebuilt between 1740 and 1743 by Henry Flitcroft,
Clerk of Works to Crown for Thomas Foley. Dressed and coursed sandstone
rubble to tower with ashlar dressings. Stuccoed brick nave and chancel,
slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower, four stages with
diagonal buttressing and recessed needle spire (now capped); 2-light
windows to bell-stage and single lights to lower stages, door to west
on ground floor; nave and chancel, five bays, doorways to first and
last bays with moulded architraves and panelled doors, oculus above
each door, three semi-circular-headed arched windows with pronounced
keystones and imposts, brackets to sills. Interior: pair of giant Tuscan
columns separate entrance bay and body of church, similar columns separate
marbled chancel end. Fittings: contemporary box pews remain intact.
Font: small marble bowl supported on wrought iron stand. Monuments: on
north wall of entrance bay, late C15 tomb with alabaster effigy of female
in contemporary dress; many other wall tablets commemorating members of
Listing NGR: SO6040040654
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.