If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Michael and All Angels, Kingstone

Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 21 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 155079

OS Grid Reference: SO4244335700
OS Grid Coordinates: 342443, 235700
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0167, -2.8401

Location: 7 Green Lane, Kingstone, County of Herefordshire HR2 9HB

Locality: Kingstone
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 9HB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

SO 43 NW KINGSTONE CP -

4/27 Church of St Michael
and All Angels


GV II*


Parish church. C12 with C13 and C14 alterations and extensions, partly
rebuilt in mid-C18, restored 1842 and 1889. Sandstone rubble, sandstone
dressings, stone slate and tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, north-west tower,
north aisle, north chapel and south porch. West tower has three uninter-
rupted stages, restored embattled parapet with ball-flower cornice below,
top stage has 2-light ogeed bell-openings with quatrefoil tracery, second
stage has one central lancet to north and west faces, trefoil head one-light
window with label in ground floor stage of west side, north doorway (into
tower) has 2-centred head, label with head stops of a priest to left and a
king to right-hand side, door has elaborate strap hinges. North aisle has
two restored windows each of two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery.
North chapel has two early C13 lancets in the north wall and a 2-light window,
with trefoils and ogees to each head in the east wall. Chancel has restored
3-light C19 east window, the east window of the south wall is of one light
with a trefoiled head, the adjacent window to the west has two trefoil-headed
lights, between the last two windows is a plaque inscribed "1762". Nave has
two 2-light traceried windows each with trefoiled lights to left of the porch;
to the right of the porch is a similar but plainer window without tracery but
with a sun-dial incised beneath its label; west window has three stepped
lights with restored flowing tracery, the doorway beneath has a 2-centred
head and chamfered and moulded jambs. South porch is probably early C20
and timber-framed. South doorway is mid-C12, round head and projecting
chamfered imposts, the door with decorative strap hinges. Interior has
largely unrestored wagon roof to nave, possibly C14 or C15, which has
received a central suspended collar purlin and brattished wall-plates in
one of the restorations; chancel roof is similar but restored; north aisle
has restored-curved braced collar-truss roof with another central purlin;
north chapel has similar roof to the last but little restored. Three-bay
arcade separates nave from north aisle which is continued in two further
bays beyond the chancel arch to divide chancel from north chapel. Nave
arcade has double chamfered 2-centred arches, circular piers with trumpet
capitals and water-holding bases, the eastern pier beneath the chancel arch
has trefoiled decoration to its capital and a carved bust on the west side;
chancel arcade also has a carved bust on west side of central pier and east
respond. Chancel arch is double chamfered, supported on north side by
foliated capital and on south by two corbels, one beneath the other.
Tower arch is two centred with double chamfers, label and semi-octagonal
responds. Piscina in north chapel has chamfered 2-centred head and circular
drain. Recess in north wall of north aisle has chamfered 2-centred head,
probably for a tomb. Font has plain bulbous bowl of marble supported on
moulded stem. Chest possibly C13 about 8½ feet long, at east end of nave
and north aisle is a dug-out with two unequal lids, decorative reinforce-
ments and strap hinges. Several wall monuments including that for Richard
Russell, died 1717, on east side of south-east pier of tower in the form of
an aedicule; for John Parry, died 1689, consisting of a tapered slab with
foliated cross placed against north wall of north aisle; for Mary Parry,
died 1780, on north wall of north chapel, a Neo-Classical white oval plaque
with urn on a brown marble ground donated by Charles Morgan of Tredegor;
adjacent a monument to Thomas Parry, died 1774, by T Symonds of Hereford
for Mary Parry, relic; also by Symonds on north wall of chancel a monument
for Armclah Russell, 1773. Several floor slabs late C17 to early C19.
Communion table in north chapel is late C17 or early C18 with turned legs
and moulded rails. Stained glass in east window of chancel, late C19 for
Archdeacon Wetherall at the bequest of his widow depicts the Parable of
the Lost Sheep; east window of south wall shows St Michael; adjacent window
to west is of the Holy Family signed Alfred D Hemmiraq, 1894. Bell-ringing
platform finished 1985 has plaque alongside in tower commemorating "a peal
of 5040 doubles by the Hereford Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers for the
wedding of HRH Princess Margaret and Mr Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Friday
May 6th 1960 in two hours fifty minutes"; also in tower water colour
perspective of proposed restoration with the caption:

CHURCH OF S MICHAEL: KINGSTONE: HEREFORD
NORTH EAST VIEW AS RESTORED
NOCKALLS: J: COTTINGHAM: ARCHITECT: LONDON: 1848

(RCHM, Vol I, p 161 - 163).


Listing NGR: SO4244435699

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |