If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Clehonger

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 155330

OS Grid Reference: SO4654637949
OS Grid Coordinates: 346546, 237949
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0374, -2.7807

Location: Church Road, Clehonger, County of Herefordshire HR2 9SD

Locality: Clehonger
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 9SD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

CLEHONGER CP -
SO 43 NE
3/30 Church of All Saints
26.1.67

GV I
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14 with C17 or C18 rebuilding. Restored in
late C19 and in 1956. Roughly coursed squared sandstone rubble, ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north
chapel, south aisle and south porch. Two-bay chancel. West tower has four
stages, battered moulded plinth and embattled parapet. One small central
lancet to faces of ground and first stages. Similarly positioned but larger
lancets to third stage. Top stage is ashlar with central 2-centred arch con-
taining two trefoil-headed openings to each side of bell-chamber. Stages and
parapets are divided by moulded strings. Eastern openings to top two stages
only. Large buttress to north-east corner on north side. North elevation
has a 2-centred 2-light restored window with Y-tracery and a C14 square-
headed window with three trefoil-headed and ogeed lights, the first nearer
the tower. Between the two is a square-headed doorway with a C14 door made
of three large planks hung on ornate strap hinges. North window of north chapel
is C14 and re-set and has three lights under a 2-centred arch. The outer lights
have cinquefoiled heads. East window of the chapel is similar to the 3-light
window in the north wall of the nave. Chancel is C19 with a pair of cinquefoil
headed lancets to both north and south sides. East window is re-set and similar
to that of north wall of north chapel. In the south wall is a priest's doorway
with a 2-centred head and fragments of C12 chevron voussoirs inset at intervals.
South aisle has 3-light C13 east window under a 2-centred head. The lights are
uncusped. The two south windows are similar but of two lights forming plain Y-
tracery. South porch is late C19 with collar trusses and a collar purlin.
South doorway is C13 with semi-circular head and two roll moulded orders. A
pair of detached shafts with water-leaf captials and water-holding bases
supports the outer order. The abaci carry across as imposts to the outer
order which has a keeled roll moulding. The door is ledged with nail-studs,
moulded battens, elaborate strap hinges and scutcheon plate. Interior has
C19 hammer-beam roof to chancel. Nave roof, probably C17, with some restora-
tion, has five trusses each with two collars, tie supported by curved braces
rising from corbels and two posts passing from ties through the lower to upper
collar. Beneath each post a pendant is suspended from the tie. Interstices
of collars and posts have thin trefoiled tracery, perhaps C19. South aisle
has three similar trusses. North chapel has single-framed roof. Chancel
has C19 stained glass east window, restored in 1964, of Christ giving bene-
diction in the centre light and St Catherine in side light. Re-set piscina
is C14 and has trefoiled and ogeed head. To the north is a re-set C14 round
bracket. Wall monument for Herbert Aubrey, died 1671, of painted stone and
slate has broken pediment flanked by a pair of putti; volutes to the sides and
on apron. Chancel arch is C19, double chamfered with 2-centred head, and
supported on deep corbels. Nave has south arcade of 2-centred double chamfered
arches with octagonal abaci on cyclindrical piers and water-holding bases on
square plinths. Tower arch has unmoulded 2-centred head with plain imposts.
Above is a blocked C12 semi-circular headed window. Three-light north window
has fragments of C14 stained glass including two heads, one of which is crowned.
Beneath is the internally blocked north door with plaque to three people of the
parish who fell from 1939-45. Nearby is a grey, white and brown marble wall
monument for Anne Green, died 1783, with scrolled pediment and urn. South aisle
has C14 piscina with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. In the south wall
is a low wide recess under 2-centred head decorated by roll-moulding with
fillet, and containing C13 coffin-lid with cross in low relief. Font, probably
C19, has cyclindrical stem and bowl, the latter with curved underside. Wall
monument to John Matthews MP, died 1826, in white marble with slate back and
draped urn. East window has stained glass for Blanche Edith Gloster-Downing,
died 1966, with the inscription "HE IS RISEN". Organ is 1936 by Ingram & Co,
Hereford. Late C19 North American harmonium with mahogany case. Tapered
upper part of coffin lid with cross in circular design, probably C13. North
chapel has C14 ogeed and trefoil-headed piscina with part circular drain.
On the east wall is a double bracket with deep mouldings beneath which is an
aumbry with ledged door and strap hinges. East window has stained glass in
similar design to that of south aisle, for Phyllis Molly Meredith, died 1960,
despicting St Anne and St Francis. Re-set mid-C14 altar tomb with big effigy
of Sir Richard Pembrugge in armour with a dog at his feet and angels at his head.
Small altar tomb, possibly for his wife, Petronilla, has delicate effigy with
gown and belt, the head on cushion flanked by angels, a bird at the feet. Some
remnants of paint. Two brasses for Sir John Barre, died 1483, and his wife, the
latter half-turned towards her husband. On the west wall two wall monuments to
Richard Prosser and Francis Parry, both died 1839, in form of Tudor arches,
flanked by pinnacles with cresting along the top. North window has two stained
glass C14 dragons in the spandrels. John Matthews was probably responsible for
planting an acorn at Belmont House (qv) in 1788. Richard Prosser was presuambly
an Anglican forbear of F C Wegg-Prosser who, on becoming a Catholic convert,
founded Belmont Abbey (qv). (BoE, p 101; RCHM, Vol I, p 35-7; Snewin, G M:
All Saints Church, Clehonger, A Short History, 1970).


Listing NGR: SO4654637948

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.