If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 16 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 156110
OS Grid Reference: SP0652069648
OS Grid Coordinates: 406520, 269648
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3249, -1.9057
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St Leonard's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Beoley, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 06 NE BEOLEY CP CHURCH HILL (north side)
11/59 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. Early C12, extended early C13, early C14, early C15 and
c1580; restored 1885 and 1891. Sandstone ashlar with tiled roof. West
tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel with Sheldon Chapel to north.
West tower: c1400, four stages, diagonal stepped buttresses, crenellated
parapet with plain pinnacles, each stage defined by string courses; west
side: belfry has window of two cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred head
with label; second stage: square-headed window with crocketed label; first
stage: large window of four cinquefoiled lights under a 2-centred head
with crocketed label; ground stage: door has a 4-centred arch of two
continuously moulded orders with label. Aisles (there is no nave clerestorey):
south: early C13, largely rebuilt early C15, four bays, second bay from west
has entrance with C19 gabled timber-framed porch, the entrance has a 4-centred
arch and is moulded; windows: all have cinquefoiled lights and square heads,
that to the east of three lights, the others of two, above the 3-light window
is a restored C17 gabled dormer window, west window is C19; north: early C14,
three bays: central entrance with 4-centred head, west window of three cinque-
foiled lights under a 4-centred head, east window: three cinquefoiled lights
under square head; a late C20 parish hall has been added to the north linked
by a glazed corridor to the entrance from the north side. Chancel: early C12,
extended early C13, two bays with C19 diagonal buttresses, windows have trefoiled
lights under square heads, two lights to west, three lights to east; east window:
C19 of three septfoil lights under 4-centred head. Sheldon Chapel: late C16,
two bays: two 3-light square-headed windows; east window: five square-headed
lights under a 4-centred head. Interior: nave: arcades of three bays, south
arcade early C13 has 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders with label on
a circular and an octagonal pier; north arcade: early C14 has 2-centred arches
of two orders; tower arch: tall with two continuously moulded orders; chancel
arch: C12, a plain semi-circular arch with impost blocks, above which is a C19
Romanesque window of two semi-circular headed lights; chancel: arcade to Sheldon
Chapel through two memorials. Roofs: north aisle has match boarding to a five-
bay medieval roof, south aisle C19 lean-to roof; nave: C19 scissor-braced common
rafter roof; chancel: C19 four-bay roof with arch-braced collars supportinmg
king-posts; Sheldon Chapel: C19 scissor-braced common rafter roof with collar
purlin. Fittings: south aisle, set in wall a C12 relief of a saint; north
aisle: font of C13 has four female heads on bowl; Sheldon Chapel: an important
collection of Italianate monuments, two penetrate wall to chancel, that to east
to William Sheldon (died 1570) and his wife Mary, has two recumbent stone
effigies on a sarcophagus bearing a number of coats of arms, all under a 4-
centred arch with panelled soffit, framed by detached Corinthian columns support-
ing a full entablature surmounted by an armorial achievement flanked by obelisks;
that to west to Ralph Sheldon (died 1613) and his wife Anne; similar in design
to the west; in the north wall two semi-circular tomb recesses, to the east
William Sheldon (died 1517) a table tomb with three panelled front divided by
Doric pilasters; to the west Ralph Sheldon (died 1546), similar design but
Ionic pilasters; west wall of chapel a collection of wall memorials to the
Sheldon family, dated from 1613 to 1766; altar in chapel is of two stages,
both supported on three columns, the upper slab of black marble; on the sloping
sill of the west window is a C13 stone coffin lid with a foliated cross.
(VCH 4, pp 16 -18; BoE, pp 80-81).
Listing NGR: SP0651869649
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.