If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 16 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 156282
OS Grid Reference: SO9192076862
OS Grid Coordinates: 391920, 276862
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3897, -2.1201
Explore more of the area around Belbroughton, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 9076 - 9176 BELBROUGHTON CP CHURCH ROAD (west side)
12/17 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. C12 origins; altered C13; partly rebuilt C14; further
alterations in C15 and C16; restored and extended 1894-5. Sandstone ashlar
with plain tiled roofs partly behind parapets with cross finials at gable
ends; older chancel has fishscale-tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles.
West tower, three-bay nave with south aisle and south porch and three-bay
chancel; C19 nave or three bays with two-bay chancel adjoins to north.
Decorated style. West tower: C15; three stages with strings and continuous
plinth; diagonal buttresses at west end; 3-light west window; loopholes in
north and south side, of intermediate stage; 2-light louvred bell-chamber
openings; embattled parapet and octagonal spire with ogee-headed lucarnes
and weathervane. There is a stair turret in the south-east angle. Nave:
mainly restored C13 work retaining some C12 fragments; south aisle set
beneath catslide roof; buttresses at bay divisions; C12 window in west bay;
2-light C19 window in east bay and west end; C19 square-headed 3-light window
at east end with adjacent restored C17 memorial to Richard Tristram. Central
C19 gabled south porch has a heavily moulded archway with hoodmould and a pair
of cusped openings in the side elevations. Round-headed south doorway incor-
porates C12 work and has roll mouidings and double-shafted jambs. Chancel: C14;
east end buttresses (angled on south side); continuous sill string; windows have
hoodmoulds with head stops; 3-light east window with cusped lancet above; three
2-light windows and round-headed doorway in south elevation. C19 nave has
buttresses at bay divisions (diagonal at west end); three-bay arcade at west
end, outer bays are blind, central bay has double doorway; 4-light window with
hoodmould and sill string above; ogee light in apex. North elevation has a 3-
light, and two 2-light windows and an ogee-arched doorway which incorporates
C14 stonework. C19 chancel has gabled buttresses with blind tracery at its
east end, a 5-light east window with rectangular light above, a 2-light north-
west window and north-east doorway with a cambered head. Interior: old nave
has a largely C19 south arcade of two chamfered orders on concave octagonal
columns. The north arcade is a C19 reconstruction and has tall slender piers.
C16 chancel arch is Similar to south arcade; in the south jamb is the entrance
to and remains of the rood stair and also a cusped opening. There is a C15
tower arch. Nave and chancel roofs are C17 with collar and tie-beam trusses.
On the eastern nave tie-beam is written "WT: 1654: GW" and on the western
chancel tie-beam is written "Laus Deo/ This Roofe was new built at the/
charge of Richard Tristram Rector/ 1660". The old chancel has a large ogee-
arched tomb recess, a C15 sedilia and a C13 reset piscina. C17 panelled
reredos and altar rails. Traceried chancel screen. South aisle has a C13
cusped piscina and also the remains of wall paintings. C15 font with octagonal
bowl and quatrefoil panels. Jacobean octagonal pulpit with dragon frieze, strap-
work and grotesque corbels; the lectern is of similar date and design.
Memorials: there are.numerous C18 and C19 memorials in the old chancel, some
of which are ornately detailed. Glass: some medieval fragments in a nave
window. South aisle east wndow and south chancel window by Kempe. This
substantial parish church has retained a considerable proportion of its
medieval fabric and its C17 roofs and furnishings are of particular interest.
(VCH 3(i) p 117: BoE, p 77-8).
Listing NGR: SO9192276865
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.