British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Cassian, Chaddesley Corbett

Description: Church of St Cassian

Grade: I
Date Listed: 25 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 157044

OS Grid Reference: SO8913073595
OS Grid Coordinates: 389130, 273595
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3603, -2.1610

Location: A448, Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire DY10 4SA

Locality: Chaddesley Corbett
Local Authority: Wyre Forest District Council
County: Worcestershire
Country: England
Postcode: DY10 4SA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SO 8873 - 8973
14/57 Church of St Cassian
Parish church. C12, extended late C13 and C14; tower and spire rebuilt
1778-1779 by James Rose, restored 1863-4 by William Butterfield. Sandstone
ashlar with tile roofs. West tower with spire, 1778-9; C12 nave, C14 north
and south aisles; C14 chancel, C13 north chapel. Tower: four stages capped
by an octagonal stone spire, with two levels of windows, the upper windows
each have a pair of 2-centred lights. The tower windows have two lights under
a 2-centred head. Crenellated parapet above moulded cornice, offsets to each
stage, angle buttresses. Third stage windows of two lights under 2-centred
heads; second stage with circular window in quatrefoil recess. First stage
with 2-light window under 2-centred head. Ground floor on west side has a
3-light C19 window under 2-centred head in place of door, entrance now in
south wall under 2-centred head of two moulded orders. South aisle:
crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses with C18 flying buttress to right
of centre. Three windows: three cinquefoiled lights under segmental pointed
heads. Behind flying buttress is an ogee-headed burial niche with crocketted
canopy; east window extended C14 of three lights, the outer two trefoiled, the
central light cinquefoiled, under a 2-centred head. North aisle: four bays,
three to left each have a C19 window of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred
heads. Right hand bay has a C12 doorway with semi-circular head of two
enriched orders and engaged respond shafts with scalloped capitals. West
window of three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. C13 north chapel is
of three bays defined by heavily restored stepped buttresses. Windows each
of two lights under 2-centred heads set in hollow moulded reveals. East
window rises above C19 vestry and has three lights under a 2-centred head.
C14 chancel is a fine example of Decorated style. South wall of three
windows: to left of three lights, two trefoiled, the central one cinquefoiled,
below a 2-centred head. To right similar but quatrefoil central light.
Central window has three trefoiled lights, over an ogee-headed doorway.
East window: five trefoiled lights with reticulated tracery under 2-centred
head. Interior: nave: late C12 south arcade of three bays, columns with
scalloped capitals, 2-centred arches of two plain orders. North arcade:
mostly early C12, four bays, columns support semi-circular arches, save that
to west end which is similar to south arcade. Tall tower arch, 2-centred of
two chamfered orders, mostly obscured by mid-C20 organ loft. Chancel arch:
segmental pointed arch of two chamfered orders, the inner dying into the
responds; north arcade of two bays with octagonal pier supporting 2-centred
arches with two orders of hollow chamfers. Three-seat sedillia with ogee
heads to south wall and a piscina with nodding ogee head. Roofs: nave: eight
bays, restored C19; trusses have arch-braces and a pair of raking struts
above elaborately cusped; north aisle lean-to roof C19 of five bays; chancel:
C19 barrel vault. Fittings: south aisle: C13 recumbent stone effigy of
knight; nave: C12 Hereford school font of goblet form with interlaced knop
and four dragons to bowl, pulpit by Butterfield; chancel memorial brass (now
wall mounted) to Thomas Forrest died 1511, and his wife Margaret; north chapel,
under arcade a C13 recumbent stone effigy of a priest; in chapel on north wall:
tablet to Lady Mary Yate (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1696, flanked
by Doric pilasters with entablature, floral panel below, surmounted by armorial
bearings; also tablet to Humphrey Packington, died 1631, in black and white
marble, Ionic columns to broken segmental pediment; wall memorial to Dame
Ann Audeley, (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1642, has eared archi-
trave to inscription flanked by consoles; south-west corner wall tablet to
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Holt of Aston, died 1647, flanked by Ionic
columns with entablature. (VCH, 3, pp 40-41; BoE, pp 116-7; Roper, J S:
A History of St Cassian's Church, Chaddesley Corbett, 1978 (second edition):
Colvin, Howard: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840,
1978, p 706; Thompson, Paul: William Butterfield, 1971, pp 133, 264, 266, 418,
445, 480).

Listing NGR: SO8913073596

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.