If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Paul
Date Listed: 3 October 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 158704
OS Grid Reference: TL0805300569
OS Grid Coordinates: 508053, 200569
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6935, -0.4381
Explore more of the area around Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.
TL 00 SE ABBOTS LANGLEY LANGLEYBURY
3/58 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1863-5 by H. Woodyer with funds provided by W.J. Loyd of
Langleybury House(q.v.). Squared knapped flint with Bath stone dressings.
Machine tiled roofs. Large church, tall in proportions, in a Gothic
Revival Style. Nave with N aisle, S porch, W tower with prominent spire,
narrower and lower chancel, S chapel, N organ bay and vestry. 3 stage
tower. W entrance: strap hinged doors in heavily moulded pointed arch.
Double plinth. Stone courses below windows. Paired lancets in N and S
returns. String course to 2nd stage, geometrical tracery in W window,
trefoil headed lancets and clocks to N and S. 3 stage diagonal buttresses
to W. To S a semi-octagonal stair turret with a pointed arched entrance,
slit windows, quoins. Upper or bell stage has 2 pointed arched louvred
openings on each side with central shafts and cusped heads, intermediate
and corner ashlar piers, corbelling to tall broached, shingled spire. S
porch at W end of nave: heavily moulded pointed entrance arch with double
shafted jambs, mask stopped hood mould, diagonal buttresses, kneelers to
steeply pitched coped gable parapet with apex cross,initial relief panel.
Returns have small triple lancets, plinth, stone bands. Inside porch are
benches, dedication stone, arch braced roof, strap hinged doors in
heavily moulded pointed arch with shafted jambs. Nave to S has pointed
arched windows with curvilinear tracery. Buttresses. Stone band to close
eaves to steeply pitched roof. To E a coped parapet with a ridge cross.
6 bay N aisle has an entrance with a trefoiled head, stiff leaf
spandrels, 4 bays of double hollow chamfered mullioned 4 light square
headed windows, with trefoiled heads to each light. Lean-to roof from
just below nave eaves. N aisle W end cusped lancet. Chancel: large
pointed arched 5 light E window with curvilinear tracery, short angle
buttresses, kneelers to coped gable parapet, ridge cross. S return has a
similar 2 light window, ball flower frieze to moulded stone band at
eaves. S chapel with lower separate steeply pitched roof. 5 trefoiled
lancets to S in triple roll moulded surrounds separated by recessed
shafts, all ashlar, diagonal buttresses. Steps up to an entrance at W
gable end, ashlar panel with shafts and empty shields and a lancet above.
E gable end has a cellar entrance with a 2 light curvilinear traceried
window. To N of chancel is organ bay attached to E end of N aisle. 4
lancets, cellar entrance, corbelling to hipped roof. Further E is lean-
to vestry with an entrance and 4 quatrefoil lights. 3 light square headed
window to E. Interior: 6 bay nave arcade, pointed arches, 4 half column
cluster piers with moulded caps and bases, carved angels at springings of
arches. Pointed chancel arch, richly carved with 12 angels to each side,
full length musician angels on caps to respond shafts, stiff leaf
ornament, carving all by T. Earp. Pointed tower arch with half column
responds. Double arcade from chancel to S chapel with clustered shafts
with stiff leaf caps to cusped arches. 1 similar arch to organ bay. E
window has cusped inner archivolt with shafted jambs. S chapel S window
has shaft mullions. Arch braced nave roof with cusped windbraces. Cusped
braced chancel roof with brattished cornice, coffered and painted ceiling
to tower. Fittings: Cornish serpentine font in tower with tall timber
Gothic cover, semi-octagonal pulpit, shafted base, traceried with marble-
inlay, low stone screen with quatrefoil marble inlay and traceried,
initialed reredos all by Woodyer. Choir stalls with poppyhead finials,
original seating. Monuments in S chapel to W.J. Loyd, d.1885, marble
portrait medallion with 2 putti and to his wife, d.1893, lifesize
seated angel with raised arm on a pedestal. Paintings by Mrs. Loyd in
chancel and tower. Mosaics on E wall. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL0805300569
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.