British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Cross, Sarratt

Description: Church of the Holy Cross

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 1 September 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 158916

OS Grid Reference: TQ0387498398
OS Grid Coordinates: 503874, 198398
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6748, -0.4992

Location: SA40, Sarratt WD3 6HE

Locality: Sarratt
Local Authority: Three Rivers District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: WD3 6HE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Sarratt, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(West side)
Church End
5/272 Church of the
1.9.53 Holy Cross

Parish Church. Late C12, chancel extended in C13 and C14. Tower C15,
raised C16. Restored 1865-6 by Sir G. G. Scott. Knapped flint with
Totternhoe dressings, red brick dressings in tower. Some Roman tiles
and puddingstones. Tiled roofs. Unusual small cruciform plan with short
nave and transepts, chancel lengthened, W tower added. Aisles, S vestry
and S porch added 1865. Chancel: E window, C19 restoration of C14 2
lights with cusped and trefoiled heads. S return C14/C15 small square
headed window with double chamfered surround and a C19 lancet. N return
C19 lancet. Taller and wider nave with lower transepts that to S
slightly larger with plinth and C19 2 light S window with trefoiled
pointed head. To E of S transept is lean-to vestry with a pointed arched
entrance to S, a lancet to E. To W of S transept is separately roofed
C19 aisle with a 2 light plate traceried window to W. To S is gabled
porch with timber on flint and stone base, cusped braces to pointed
entrance. A lancet to E of porch. N transept: plinth, C15 N window,
square headed 2 cinquefoiled lights, double hollow chamfered
surround. To E a square headed C19 double lancet. Stack at NE angle
added 1931 rising from a 2 stage diagonal buttress. N aisle 2 light
plate traceried window to W. 2 stage W tower. Double plinth. W window
of C13 form, possibly moved from nave W wall in C15, pointed head,
double lancets with circular light at head, double chamfered surround.
A small C15 window to S. String course to C16 bell stage with brick
quoins. To W paired 4 centred arched headed openings with chamfered
brick and moulded brick outer surrounds, square head, drip mould. To N
a tall cusped opening in a stone surround with stone drip mould. To S
a single opening with brick surround and dripmould. Diagonally set
course below eaves. Brick gables to N and S to transverse saddleback
roof. Interior: late C12 pointed arches from nave to chancel and
transepts, a plain square order with chamfered strings at imposts. C15
double chamfered pointed tower arch. C19 arches follow C12 model from
nave to aisles and from transepts to aisles. N transept segmental rear
arches to window embrasures, C15 rear arch to S transept S window.
Chancel S wall has a C13 double piscina with roll moulded pointed
arches with a central shaft with a moulded cap. Roll moulded string
rises vertically to right. Left half cut to form sedile. To E a
smaller C15 piscina with a trefoiled head, Tudor flower and brattished
ornament. To W of chancel S wall a blocked doorway with a segmental
head. Chancel N wall has a recess with a cusped head and an aumbry.
C14/C15 chancel roof, 2 bays, moulded arched braces, struts to collars,
clasped purlins, curved wind-braces, brattishing below ashlar pieces,
moulded tie and collar beams to centre and W trusses. E truss cut in
1865 over window to form a braced hammer beam. Nave roof, 2 bays with
curved braces to tie beams, all hollow moulded. S transept queen posts
with braces to purlins, N transept braced tie beam. Good early C17
pulpit, hexagonal with linenfold panels separated by double balusters,
backboard with foliate carving, scrolled braces to square tester with
carved soffit, moulded cornice. N transept: bowl of C12 font and
C13/C14 stone tomb slab on E wall with cross carving. Late medieval
benches used as model for Scott's reseating. C19 font in S aisle based
on C12 model, circular stem with 4 angle shafts from square base to
shallow square bowl with blank arcading. Fragmentary wall painting on
S transept E wall, C15 Annunciation, Shepherds and Angel and Ascension
restored 1928 by E.W. Tristram. Chancel S wall monument to W. Kingsley,
d.1611, and wife. Kneeling figures with children in alabaster aedicule,
flanking obelisks, arms in cartouche above, epitaph below, falsely
dated 1502. C18 floor slab in nave to Day family. S transept S wall
monument to Williams family, early C18, aedicular marble slab with arms
above, cherubim below. Glass: E window and N transept E window by
Clayton and Bell, 1865. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977: Parish

Listing NGR: TQ0387498398

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.