If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Bartholomew (Church of England)
Date Listed: 22 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 159732
OS Grid Reference: TL3693830112
OS Grid Coordinates: 536938, 230112
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9526, -0.0087
Explore more of the area around Buntingford, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.
TL 33 SE BUNTINGFORD THE CAUSEWAY
2/2 Church of St Bartholomew
(C of E)
Parish church of Layston parish, now used occasionally. Chancel
early C13, very thick nave walls suggest an early origin but C15
details, W tower and porch early C15. Chancel restored 1904 by A A
C Blomfield, tower in 1906. Flint rubble, with some Roman tiles
and blue brick parapet repairs on N side,of nave, stone
dressings, and roughcast _on N and E walls. Knapped flint used
for nave parapets and in flushwork chequered dado around tower
plinth. Steep old red tile chancel roof. Nave unroofed. A
good medieval parish church with long, square-ended chancel,
higher unaisled nave with diagonal buttresses, fine 3-stage
crenellated W tower with spike, and parapeted S porch. Chancel
has triplet of lancets at E with moulded string at sill level
inside on E and S walls. 2 blocked lancets in N wall. 2 lancets
in S wall with priest's door under western one, and a large 3-
light C15 traceried window. Chancel arch widened in late C15
with moulded 4-centred arch and shafted jambs. Now closed by tall
folding doors from the unroofed nave. C15 grotesque face as
bracket on S wall still with traces of paint. Aumbrey and
piscina with C13 rebated jambs and shouldered arches in E and S
walls. 3-bay oak arch-braced collar-truss roof with ridge,
purlins, ashlar pieces and wall posts on corbells, renewed by
Blomfield. Rectangular nave with 3 tall windows in each side,
blocked N door opposite S door, and openings of rood-loft stair
in NE corner. 3-light windows, with 2-light windows to W of
doors. Cinquefoil heads under four-centred arches and wide
casement mouldings to inner jambs. SW window of earlier date.
2-centred arched N doorway with moulded square label on inside.
Similar label to S doorway replaced by brick jambs. W tower has
diagonal buttresses, newel stair in SE angle, C15 tower arch of 3
moulded orders with shafted jambs. W door has moulded jambs and
pointed arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and label.
3-light C15 traceried W window. 2-light pointed bell chamber
openings with 4-centred traceried heads. Stoup to S of W door
with cinquefoil head. S porch has an original 4-centred stone
entrance archway with moulded jambs under a square head with
rose-in-quatrefoil spandrels. Niche over door and diagonal
buttresses. 2-light side windows. Moulded parapet all round.
Monuments collected in chancel: John Crouch d 1605, a splended
Derbyshire spar wall monument with paired Corinthian columns
flanking black marble centre, in alabaster egg and dart frame
under full entablature with raised central block with carved
achievement and 3 carved seated figures, the middle one flanked
by infants and holding a baby: Pike Crouch d1712 but monument
c1756 signed I Wilton, a Neo-Classical urn in aedicule with skull
in triangular pediment and impost with guttae all in white marble
on grey marble ground. Gadrooned bracket carries pedestal with
Greek key band and coat of arms in relief on base of urn.
Scrolled keystone to hemicycle top: Thomas Edridge d1745, a
marble oval plaque with fine lettering: and on S wall William
Slatholme d1665 doctor of physic, of marble with grey central
panel, recessed pilasters and full entablature with broken
pediment and central cartouche. C15 or C16 oak reading desk
carved with narrow cusped panels in 2 rows, the upper with narrow
crocketed finials rising from bottom row. Heavy curved
pomegranate scroll frieze and lozenge reticulation around top.
Broad front and. narrow returns. A medium sized medieval church
of exceptional interest for its C13 chancel, ornate tower and
monuments. (RCHM (1911) 138-9: VCH (1914) 85-6: Pevsner (1977)
223: Layston Parish Monthly Magazine July 1904).
Listing NGR: TL3693830112
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.