If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Great Hyde Hall
Date Listed: 6 October 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 160771
OS Grid Reference: TL4958715397
OS Grid Coordinates: 549587, 215397
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8172, 0.1688
Explore more of the area around Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.
HATFIELD HEATH ROAD
Great Hyde Hall
TL 495 154:4/17 6.10.71
Circa 1572 and later, E range c.1770 all extensively remodelled by
Sir Jeffry Wyatville 1806-7 for 2nd Earl of Roden of the Jocelyn family
which had owned the estate at least since the C13. Red brick E front,
the rest faced with Roman cement. Courtyard plan with S range at obtuse angle
to W range. An asymmetrical Cl7 2-storey 6-window rusticated brick house
facing south is shown in Drapentier's engraving of 1700 (Chauncey, I, 358).
Presumably extended westward and refaced to produce the symmetrical composition
with pilasters and corner towers shown on Oldfield's drawing (HRO: V, 448).
The present red brick E range containing the Dining Room was built c.1770;
refaced C16/C17 2-storey range remains extending to the N of it. Late C18
service range on the N side of the courtyard. Wyatville remodelled the
S range, built a matching entrance range on the W, and roofed over the
courtyard to provide a Saloon and stairshaft and created a suite of 3 rooms
on the ground floor of the S range. The interior was renovated in 1869 and
alterations were made between 1897 and 1904 for the 6th Earl of Roden.
NW wing c.l940-60 for school. Divided into flats 1978. Facade of E range,
red brick with parapet and central 3 window projection. I window each side.
Rubbed brick arches. Sash windows with Gd floor cills at floor level.
Wyatville's W facade stuccoed with large square corner pavilions rather higher
than the centre. 2 storey central projection. Low plinth and crowning each
part a narrow frieze and moulded cornice with blocking course. Roofs suppressed.
Clasping each external corner of the pavilions a giant order pilaster with
sunk panel to shaft, palm capital and sunk panel corner block. 5 windows,
recessed sashes with 6/6 panes, shallow segmental arched heads and
projecting surrounds to 1st floor. Wider segmental openings in pavilions
on Gd floor with triple sash to N with 2/3:6/9:2/3 panes, and later French
window to S. Segmental arched doorway framed by stucco panelled pilasters,
entablature and shallow triangular pediment. Slender projecting wooden
porch probably c. 1869. Narrow 2/4 paned C19 sash windows inserted next
to Gd floor 6/6 paned sash windows symmetrically. Massing of S front same
as W front except that the broader central feature is of central projection,
has its own shorter pilasters supporting the entablature directly, has its
central 1st floor 6/6 paned sash window flanked by narrower 6/6 sashes
without surrounds, and each side bay between pilasters has two 6/6 paned
windows with surrounds, to each floor. Depressed 6/6 sashes to second
floor at corners. Larger central door opening with shallow segmental
arched frame and French doors. From W door the Vestibule rises three
steps in middle and has a Greek Doric screen in the E apse, similar to
Soane's Pitzhanger (1805). The impressive Saloon rises through 2 storeys
with central circular skylight over a shallow dome on flat arches and
pilasters with excellent scroll ornament. Openings, balconies, etc. appear
to have been altered. The staircase was rebuilt according to Pevsner in
1920 by H S East. The Dining Room in the E range has delicate c.l700
doorcases and frieze with acanthus and sphinxes in panels. Of the
Wyatville suite in the S range, the Drawing Room (SW) is unaltered and
combines an oval and rectangle on plan with deep corner niches. It has
a marble fire surround carved with vine ornament and rams' heads. The
central Ante Room gives onto the garden and semi-circular niches flank
the door to the Saloon. The Library (SE)is lower and has been altered.
In the grounds moulded stonework and a capital said to be from Smirke's
General Post Office (1824-9) demolished 1912. As a result of its
remodelling under Wyatville, the building is of interest in the development
of architectural taste. (D Linstrum Sir Jeffry Wyatville (1972):77:
Pevsner 2nd Ed Rev (1977) 213: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL4958715397
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.