British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Sandon

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 27 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 162374

OS Grid Reference: TL3223734526
OS Grid Coordinates: 532237, 234526
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9934, -0.0754

Location: Rushden Road, Sandon, Hertfordshire SG9 0QS

Locality: Sandon
Local Authority: North Hertfordshire District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SG9 0QS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Sandon, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 33 SW
(East side)
7/51 Church of All Saints
GV 1
Parish church. Chancel rebuilt following contract between Dean and
Chapter of St. Paul's and T. Rykelyng, stone mason, dated 1348. Nave
and aisles rebuilt later C14. W tower and S porch early C15. Tower
buttressed C17. Restored 1832 and in 1875 by E. Christian. Tower and S
porch restored 1908-9. Flint rubble, some knapped. Stone dressings. Red
brick tower buttresses. Leaded nave and aisle roofs. Tiled chancel roof.
Chancel: restored 3 light E window, pointed arched traceried head, hood
mould. Plinth, string course at sill level. Steeply pitched roof.
Diagonal buttresses. To S: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched
panel traceried heads, hood moulds, that to E is shorter, separate
string courses at sills, intermediate buttress. To N: 2 similar windows
flank a C19 inserted arch, now blocked. Longer and wider nave has a
shallow pitched roof, coped parapet to E with a ridge cross. Clerestorey
has 2 small C15 2 light square headed windows at E end, formerly
lighting rood loft. N aisle: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched
hexafoil traceried heads, to right of centre a door with triple moulded
pointed arched surround, mask stopped hood moulds, to left of a central
buttress a large 2 light C19 square headed window, end buttresses, coped
parapet. E end of N aisle, C19 3 light square headed window. S aisle:
flanking porch are 2 large C19 3 light windows with 4 centred arched
heads, that to left with a traceried head, end buttresses. S aisle E
end: C14 window, 3 ogee headed lights, curvilinear tracery in an almost
round arched head. Large S porch: 2 centred head to moulded outer arch
with semi-octagonal responds with caps and bases, diagonal buttresses,
shallow gable, coped parapet. Returns have 2 light windows, cinquefoiled
lights in square heads with hood moulds. Inner entrance is a moulded
pointed arch with hood mould. W tower, 3 stages, orginally unbuttressed,
each stage slightly set back from the lower. Moulded plinth, C19 W
entrance, pointed arch in square surround, tall C19 2 light window above
with pointed arched head. 4 raking angle buttresses up to 2nd stage. 2nd
stage to S has a trefoil headed lancet, clock to W. Belfry, 2 light
openings with pointed arched hexafoiled heads. cornice to plain coped
parapet. Low pyramidal roof, weathervane finial. Interior: 2 centred
chancel arch, 2 hollow moulded orders to semi-octagonal responds with
caps and bases. Taller 4 centred tower arch, 2 hollow moulded and outer
quirked wave moulded orders, half column responds with moulded caps and
bases. 4 bay nave arcades, pointed arches, double chamfered with broach
stops over piers, hood moulds with small carved masks to S, octagonal
piers with moulded caps and bases. Nave and aisle roofs rebuilt re-using
some old tie beams. In N aisle to W is a moulded principal with an early
boss. 4 bay chancel roof has cambered tie beams with crown posts with 2
way curved braces, ceiled in C19 above wall and crown plates. Chancel N
wall: C14 Easter sepulchre, depressed arched head, moulded surround with
crocketed ogee finials, floral ornament. Chancel S wall: ogee headed
piscina and a triple ogee headed crocketed and cusped sedilia, probably
reset. S aisle S wall at E end, a piscina with a cusped pointed arched
head with credence shelf. N aisle N wall at E end, a concave recess for
an image, opposite on SE wall another piscina with a cinquefoiled head
and a hood mould. Good early C17 pulpit at NE corner of nave, octagonal,
richly carved with brackets to reading board. C15 chancel screen, 5
bays, that to centre open, dado with cusped panels, moulded base, cusped
ogee heads to open upper sections with panel tracery and crocketing
above. Font in S aisle has C14 or C15 octagonal stem with 4 octagonal
outer shafts with simply moulded caps and bases, C19 or early C20 bowl.
At W end of nave are ten C15 benches with poppy head finials to ends,
original seats, panelled backs with moulded rails at heads. Monuments:
brass figures in nave floor at E end, J. Fitz-Geffrey, d.1480, in armour
with wife, children and shields. Chancel S wall: marble cartouche to
E. Nicholas d.1683, alabaster epitaph to E. Moryson, d.1626, with term
figures in jambs and carved surround. S aisle wall W end: aedicule to
N.F. Miller, d.1747, possibly by H. Cheere, various marbles with a bust
in a recess, flanking seraphs, cartouche of arms in pedimented head with
urn finial, epitaph below. Floor slab in nave to E. Nicholas, d.1683,
with relief arms. Fragments of medieval glass at heads of N aisle
windows and S aisle E window. The 1348 contract specifies the number of
lights for each window, buttresses and a priest's door and allows
payment of 20 marks and the stone of the chancel. (Kelly's Directory
1899: East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol. III, pt. V,
1905, p.42: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3223734526

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.