British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Barley

Description: Church of St Margaret of Antioch

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 27 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 162538

OS Grid Reference: TL4016638418
OS Grid Coordinates: 540166, 238418
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0265, 0.0416

Location: Church End, Barley, Hertfordshire SG8 8JS

Locality: Barley
Local Authority: North Hertfordshire District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SG8 8JS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Barley, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 4038 (South side)

8/82 Church of St. Margaret
27.5.68 of Antioch
(formerly listed as
Church of St. Margaret)


Parish church. C12 origins. Late C13 or early C14 S aisle, enlarged
later in C14. Tower raised in C15. S aisle altered in C16. Chancel and
nave rebuilt, N aisle, porch, vestry/organ bay and spirelet added 1871
by W. Butterfield. Flint and pebble rubble with some herringbone
coursing in tower, knapped on C19 elevations. Stone dressings. Tiled and
leaded roofs, leaded and shingled Spirelet. 3 bay nave extended by 1 bay
to E, W tower, S aisle extended to W. N aisle and porch, chancel and SE
vestry/organ bay in High Victorian Gothic Style. 3 stage W tower: 2
lower stages are C12. Lowest stage to W has a traceried 2 light pointed
arched C19 window. 3 sides of 2nd stage have restored C12 round headed
windows, roll moulded surrounds with bases. To NW a 3 stage diagonal
buttress addition. String course to C15 belfry stage, 2 light
louvred openings with pointed arched foiled heads, string course with
grotesque carvings to embattled parapet. Octagonal spirelet with squat
leaded base to open traceried bell chamber, shingled head with
weathervane. S aisle: C14 added bay, now a vestry, extends as far W as
tower. C14 curvilinear traceried 2 light pointed arched W window. Plinth
and string courses. Diagonal buttresses. Embattled parapet. S elevation
has a blocked C14 entrance to left of centre, double wave moulded
pointed arch with hood mould, three 3 light C16 windows, hollow moulded
4 centred arched heads, hood moulds, rectilinear traceried heads except
to slightly later central window, a C19 vestry entrance to far left,
central buttress. C19 N aisle has three 2 light windows with pointed
foiled heads, string course at sill level, stone bands at sill and
impost levels and moulded to eaves. Diagonal buttress to NE with a
similar 2 light window to E return. Porch towards W end is gabled with
an outer moulded pointed arch, coped parapet with ridge cross, kneelers
over small buttresses on returns with string courses. Inner entrance is
a heavily moulded arch with shafted jambs. Unbuttressed W end of N aisle
has a hexafoil opening with a string course surround. Chancel is as wide
and nearly as tall as nave, both have steeply pitched roofs, coped gable
parapets with ridge crosses to E, crest tiles on nave. Chancel to N has
two 2 light windows as on N aisle, ball-flower frieze to close eaves.
Foundation stone to NE dated 'S. Marks Day 1871'. Chancel E end: double
plinth, large 3 light pointed arched window with foiled traceried head,
string courses at sill level and continuous as hood mould, lean-to
vestry/organ bay to SE has an entrance, 2 light windows as on N aisle
and similar stone dressings. Interior: C12 tower arch is off centre to
widened nave, plain round arch with splayed impost blocks. In tower a
C14 chamfered pointed arched doorway to S aisle, above a C12 round
headed window with a deeply splayed embrasure. S arcade is late C13, 3
bays extended by 1 bay to E in C19, double order to pointed arches,
chamfered except an inward facing inner hollow moulding, broach stops
to outer mouldings, octagonal piers with moulded bases and bell capitals,
added bay is taller but similar. C19 4 bay N arcade follows this
pattern. c19 broad pointed chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds.
C19 sharply pointed double arcade from chancel to organ bay. S aisle
retains grotesque corbels to roof, largely C19 with some earlier stop
chamfered timbers with arched braces to W end. Nave has a hexagonally
vaulted roof with arched braces, chancel roof similar with applied X
ribs and foiled tracery to E end. S aisle near E end has the lower
portion of a C14 piscina with wave moulded jambs and a hexafoil bowl.
Chancel has Gothic polychromy, blind niches flank reredos to E, double
sedilia to S, varicoloured marbles, alabaster, tiles and painted
decoration on walls. Encaustic tiled floor and risers to stone steps. A
good pulpit dated 1626, octagonal with richly carved arched and foliate
panels, shaped brackets to book rest, panelled back rises to tester with
carved soffit and pendant drops. C19 choir stalls incorporate remains of
C15 chancel screen with traceried panels. In S aisle a large late
medieval oak chest with numerous iron bands. In tower a late medieval
ladder to belfry with chamfered arrises. Square font by Butterfield, an
inner circular stem with 8 outer marble shafts to a massive bowl with
Gothic tracery. Also by Butterfield are seats with unusually shaped
bench ends, Gothic timber reading desk, painted iron candelabras and
iron gates in tower arch. Organ by Bevington and Sons, installed 1883,
case to design by Butterfield. Monuments: S aisle W wall: a reset brass
to A. Willet, d.1621, an oval marble tablet, inscribed with arms above
to T. Rutherforth, d.1771, another classical epitaph with scrolled jambs
to A. Eyre, d.1716. S aisle S wall has a reset brass palimpsest, C15 and
C16. In window sill above a carved bishop's head. S wall of organ bay,
iron epitaph to Mrs. A. Brownrigge, d.1630. Glass: E window,
Crucifixion, 1872 by Hardman, S aisle figural fragments with date 1536,
N aisle E end a small C14 Crucifixion, W tower small C14 God.
(The Builder, vol.XXX, No.1536, July 13, 1872: RCHM 1910: VCH 1914:
P. Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL4016638418

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.