British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Graveley

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 27 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 162621

OS Grid Reference: TL2348928125
OS Grid Coordinates: 523489, 228125
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9379, -0.2051

Location: Church Lane, Graveley, Hertfordshire SG4 7LR

Locality: Graveley
Local Authority: North Hertfordshire District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SG4 7LR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Graveley, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 2328 (North side)

12/8 Church of St. Mary

Parish church. Nave C12; chancel enlarged or rebuilt in C13; W tower
c.1480; nave heightened and reroofed in C15; S porch probably C18; N
aisle, N vestry and general restoration 1887. Flint rubble with stone
dressings. Steep old red tile roofs pyramidal to tower topped by lead
covered standing cross with octagonal tapered shaft. Low pitched lead
roof to nave. Small parish church of shrunken village. Long rectangular
chancel, taller nave with added N aisle and gabled NE vestry, gabled S
porch, tall W tower with crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses at
W angles. The C13 E windows of the Chancel probably 3 lancets were
replaced c.1500 by a window of 3 cinquefoil lights, but the C13 interior
jambs with edge-roll moulding and part of the arch remain. In N wall 2
C13 lancets and door to C19 vestry. At E end of S wall a C13 lancet
window and at W end a pointed segmental arched window c.1500 with 3
cinquefoil lights and disturbed masonry below cill at position of a
probable low-side window. Jambs of C12 S doorway between windows,
blocked externally and head adapted as pointed window in C13. Early C13
double piscina to S of altar with pointed arches formed by intersecting
boldly moulded semi-circular arches carried on small columns within a
square moulded frame (cf piscina at Jesus College, Camb.). Patterned
vivid stained glass c.1841 in lancets to N and S of altar. Stone reredos
C19 with gabled central aedicule and arcaded flanking parts with painted
panels. Encaustic tile patterned floor to chancel and indent for brass
in slab by door to vestry. Elaborate C19 open timber roof in 3 bays with
ridge-piece and rafters individually strutted from 2 purlins
horizontally and vertically. Pointed segmental chancel arch late C15 of
2 orders, the inner with half octagonal pilasters with moulded caps. C15
oak rood-screen with plain lower panels, 3 bays of 2 cinquefoil tracery
lights each side of arched entrance, embattled cresting, and is said to
have base of central cross remaining. The Nave has 2 windows in the S
wall and clearstorey above. The eastern window c.1330 has 2 cinquefoil
lights and 2-centred arched head with quatrefoil. C15 western window is
similar but with a 4-centred arched head. The S door is set in the lower
part of a tall recess with C12 semi-circular arched head. Piscina below
eastern window has a C12 scalloped capital hollowed out on top for the
drain within a C14 chamfered trefoil recess. Adjoining the N jamb of the
chancel arch a tall shallow C15 niche with 2-centred arch in a moulded
rectangular frame. Semi-circular headed C12 former N doorway of nave
re-used as entrance to vestry from N aisle. The eastern window in the N
wall of the N aisle is a C14 window re-set. 3-bays C15 open timber roof
carried on stone corbels, moulded 4 to middle part but carved heads at
corners. Wall-posts and moulded long curved braces support heavy cambered
moulded tie-beams. Ridge piece, one purlin to each slope and deep
wallplate all moulded and with carved bosses at intersections with
principals and sub-principals, the latter with carved angels with folded
wings next the wall (restored). N arcade of 2 bays with moulded pointed
wide arches of 2 orders with dripmould. Fat octagonal pier and imposts
with moulded caps and bases. Lean-to open timber roof to N aisle with
curved braces from stone corbels. Octagonal limestone font C15 with
trefoil sinkings around bowl and octagonal shaft with moulded base.
Octagonal C19 wooden cover carved with sprays of flowers in relief.
Brass indents in floor slab with incised marginal inscription in
ORA QUOD SIT BEATIS SOCIATA'. To E of S door large wall monument to
Margaret Sparhauke d.1770 signed by B. Palmer, marble classical tablet
with framed base and surmounted by a smooth unmoulded urn, its base
flanked by Rococco assymetrical cartouches, against a black obelisk. 2
smaller monuments to W of S door, Timothy Lane d.1807 white marble with
Roman lugs, and an early C19 slab with triangular pediment and
acroteria. Flanking tower arch on LH May Lane d.1775 white marble slab
on 2 corbels and triangular pediment. On RH Frances Burr d.1831 a marble
slab on corbels with guttae with urn over. Some early C14 chip-carved
wooden tracery incorporated into reading desk. W tower has tower arch
and W doorway of late C15, 2 stages with external string courses below
and above the belfry stage which has a 2 lights pointed louvred opening
on each face. Clockface on S just below belfry opening. 3-lights W
window with stopped pointed lights and stained glass of c.1889. West
door of old shiplap vertical oak boarding under pointed arch set in deep
square-headed moulded surround. Label has shield-shaped stops. Moulded
deep stone dado-plinth to base of tower. Attached to exterior of E wall
of chancel 2 oval stone tablets with late C18 inscriptions, LH to Jane
Cheselden d.1795. RH to Mrs. Sarah Nedham. (RCHM (1911)92: VCH
(1912)89-90: Kelly (1914)105: Pevsner (1977)148).

Listing NGR: TL2348928125

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.