British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Ippolyts (Church of England), St Ippolyts

Description: Church of St Ippolyts (Church of England)

Grade: I
Date Listed: 27 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 162679

OS Grid Reference: TL1979227127
OS Grid Coordinates: 519792, 227127
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9298, -0.2592

Location: 20 Stevenage Road, Ippollitts, Hertfordshire SG4 7NU

Locality: St Ippolyts
Local Authority: North Hertfordshire District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SG4 7NU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around St Ippolyts, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 1927
9/67 Church of St. Ippolyts
27.5.68 (C of E)


Parish church. Of (traditional date of foundation 1087) fabric of nave
and chancel; N and S aisles added, and chancel remodelled in early C14;
C14 W tower; C15 N and S porches and widened chancel arch; base of
cross-like spire dated '1636'; considerable repairs 1839; new E window
inserted in chancel 1874-5. Restoration of nave 1877-8 by Joseph Clarke,
Diocesan Architect (builder Mr. Gregory of Clapham Junction) involved
carefully rebuilding 3 walls from foundations re-incorporating older
features, with new roof over nave and aisles, and building an organ
chamber and N vestry. Old tower releaded 1880. Organ rebuilt 1891. Choir
vestry at N of earlier vestry 1913-14. New altar rails 1939. Spire
releaded 1940. Flint rubble faced in coursed pebbles with stone
dressings, tufa C11 dressings at junction of nave and narrower chancel
on S side and to blocked S window and SE angle of nave, clunch or
limestone for later work. Timber framed S porch with C17 red brick later
infill to sides. Steep old red tile roofs. Lead to N aisle. Small church
on brow of hill on site sloping steeply away to N. Consists of
square-ended chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, W tower and 2
vestries on N of chancel. The Chancel has an old scissor-rafter roof
divided into 2 bays by a moulded tie beam. Boarded waggon roof over E
part. 3-lights E window, pointed, with fan arrangement of mouchettes in
the head. Said to be a copy of window formerly in Minsden chapel in
Preston parish (q.v.), drawn by Buckler. One N and 2 S windows C14 of
2-lights with tracery in pointed segmental arched head, lower sill to
the W window on S with stained glass of 1851. Double aumbry in N wall by
altar and C13 twin-arched combined piscina and credence with shaft
between on S wall. Brass to Alice, wife of Ryce Hughes, d.1594,
kneeling man, wife, children and inscription all on one plate. The Nave
has a C19 3-bays open timber roof with 2 purlins, arched-braced collar
to truss which has a second cross-beam above the tie beam to which it is
joined by vertical balusters. N and S walls pierced by wide early C14
arches 2 well separated on each side. Chamfered outer order under
moulded hoodmould with small headstops: half octagonal inner order
carried on large broad-faced corbel-heads with inscribed abaci (one C19
replacement on S side). High up in angle of NE corner of nave the narrow
4-centred head to upper doorway for the former roodloft. Tufa dressings
of original round headed late C11 window in wall above S arcade. Wider
N aisle has had its windows largely renewed, the eastern one has stained
glass by Shrigley & Hunt c.1929. C14 piscina on S side in back of pier
beside pulpit, with ogee cusped head and trefoil sinking. Brass to
Robert Poydres and Alice his wife, d.1401, incomplete inscription. Early
C14 N doorway. The S aisle has a narrow 2-lights C14 E window with
tracery in pointed head, remains of canopied niche on inner jamb, and a
square-headed 2-light S window of some age to E of porch. Moulded clunch
S door of early C14. C19 2-lights W window. C14 trefoil-headed piscina
near E end of aisle and nearby a recess with the C14 recumbent effigy of
a priest. C14 octagonal stone font on stem with engaged shafts. Set in N
wall of S aisle a C13 arch stone with moulding, label, and dog-tooth
ornament. Below it a stone inscribed with several crosses with enlarged
terminals, some in lozenge shaped surrounds. Wooden arcaded screen with
C15 central bay set up in chancel in C19 restoration and moved to tower
arch c.1939. Tall square W tower with angle buttresses at W angles,
string course below crenelated parapet, low pyramidal red tile roof
topped by a lead covered preaching cross in place of a spire. This has a
classical panelled pedestal supporting a tapering octagonal cross shaft
with moulded cap and base topped by a cross and vane. Date on E face of
pedestal '1636'. Stair turret buried in SW corner of tower. A 2-lights
pointed bell opening on each face, 2nd level lit by small slit windows.
Clock installed 1887, repaired 1924. 3-lights C14 W window with tracery
in the head and mullions renewed. Plain chamfered tower arch. Elaborate
C15 N porch of clunch, renewed externally, with pointed entrance arch
with square head and traceried spandrels, flanking buttresses, trefoil
headed niches flanking entrance, and canopied niche over entrance.
Timber framed C15 S porch has frame infilled by C17 red brick on each
side but original elaborate S front with moulded bargeboards to roof
verge. Cambered moulded tie-beam over central, arched 4-centred entrance
with cusped spandrels and flanked by narrow 2-lights trefoil headed
side-lights. Later wooded gates. King-post and crosspieces to the
principal rafters from a cross-shaped gable infill above tie-beam.
Pierced circular stone chimney to vestry. (RCHM (1911)129-30: VCH
(1912)27-8: Kelly (1914)168: Pevsner (1977)214: inf Mrs. Rance).

Listing NGR: TL1979227127

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.