Description: Bushey Studios
Date Listed: 11 April 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 164186
OS Grid Reference: TQ1355895099
OS Grid Coordinates: 513558, 195099
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6432, -0.3602
TQ 1395 BUSHEY MELBOURNE ROAD
13/137 Bushey Studios
11.4.85 (Formerly listed as
Film Studios. Core is mid C19 Methodist Chapel. Extended and converted
to form a private theatre by Sir H.Herkomer c.1887. Further extended and
adapted to use as a daylight film studio by Herkomer in 1912 to 1913.
Colourwashed brick with glass and metal sheeting to upper daylight
studio. Glass roof. 5 bays to main block. Entrance in lean-to addition.
12 light casements with iron glazing bars and segmental heads, buttress
strips. Brick corner piers to upper glass house. Left gable end to High
Street has a lower 1 storey wing attached, blind openings with gauged
brick heads, a lower bay to road with small openings and deep eaves to a
hipped slate roof. Right gable end has a slightly lower projecting wing.
2 round headed casements below an entrance to upper stage with steps up.
Interior largely subdivided. Herkomer's daylight glass house is the
earliest surviving film studio in England.
(Pevsner 1977, Hertfordshire Countryside, No. 172, Aug. 1973).
Listing NGR: TQ1355895099
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.