If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St.andrew
Date Listed: 4 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 164428
OS Grid Reference: TA1752015081
OS Grid Coordinates: 517520, 415081
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6191, -0.2248
IMMINGHAM CHURCH LANE
TA 11 NE
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C11 - C12 nave and responds to north arcade; late C12 -
early C13 south arcade, south aisle, lower section of tower arch, chancel
arch and west section of chancel; later C13 north arcade; C14 north door,
east and west windows to aisles; C15 - C16 north aisle windows, C16-C17
tower, clerestory and chancel east window. Roof replaced in C17.
Restorations of late 188Os. Restoration of north aisle in 1921 by W Bond of
Grantham, of nave in 1923, of tower in 1924; nave and tower roofs renewed in
1957. Refloored in 1969. Limestone ashlar to tower and nave clerestory;
mixed limestone and ironstone rubble and squared masonry to aisles and east
end of nave; similar materials to chancel with some chalk and flint rubble.
Slate roofs. West tower with 4-bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel. 3-stage
tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, stair lighting slits
to south west, stepped-in stages with weathered string courses between.
First stage has pointed 3-light westjindow with partly-restored
Perpendicular tracery in hollow-chamfered reveal with hoodmould. Second
stage has square openings with pierced quatrefoils in roundels with incised
spandrels in plain chamfered reveals. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry
openings in hollow-chamfered reveals kith hoodmoulds. Moulded string
course, gargoyles at angles and centre of each side, coped embattled parapet
with 8 crocketed pinnacles, the pinnacle buttresses with blind-traceried
panels and the merlons with quatrefoil panels bearing shields. Quoins to
aisles and chancel. South aisle: early C13 round-headed chamfered door with
chamfered imposts and hoodmould with nailhead ornament; twin lancets to
south side, that to east of C13 with ashlar tablet between arches bearing
cross in relief, that to west incorporating reused C13 incised graveslab,
and that to centre restored in C19; pointed 2-light traceried west window
with restored mullion, original hoodmould and good headstops; similar east
window with restored mullion, original hoodmould and worn headstops. North
aisle: chamfered plinth; pointed wave-moulded door with hoodmould and worn
headstop, sill string course, partly-restored square-headed 3-light windows
with original Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds and worn headstops; partly-
restored 2-light traceried west window with hoodmould and restored
headstops; pointed 3-light traceried east window with hoodmould and good
headstop. Clerestory has 4-centred-arch traceried 3-light windows in plain
chamfered reveals, restored coped parapet. Line of earlier nave gable
visible in east wall of nave. Chancel: chamfered plinth to south and east
sides, single Cl9-C20 mid buttresses to north and south sides; south side
has pointed hollow-chamfered door with hoodmould and headstops, sill string
course and partly-restored pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould
and headstops to western section; partly-restored triple lancet to eastern
section; single lancet to north side; small 3-light east window with 4-
centred-arch lights and restored mullions. Interior. South arcade of round
arches with inner chamfered and plain outer orders, on cylindrical piers and
responds with plain moulded capitals, octagonal abaci, and plain moulded
bases on square pedestals. North arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches
on plain chamfered responds and octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals
and bases. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch, raised in C16-C17, on
shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases; inscription on north
jamb records restorations of 1920s,tablet on south jamb records restoration
of 1957. Arcade piers and jambs of tower arch bear traces of red and black
paint. Pointed chamfered door to tower spiral staircase with notched newel.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on keeled responds with plain moulded
capitals and bases. Small square aumbry to chancel with stone shelf above.
Small corbel to east end of south aisle with paterae in relief. Ashlar wall
tablet at west end of nave to John Teale of 1809 with oval medallion and
rosettes in relief. 8 alabaster wall tablets in south aisle to naval
casualties of 1914-1918 War. Good C15 octagonal font with bowl bearing
foiled panels and shields with paterae, fleur-de-lys and crosses in relief,
series of paterae on underside, moulded base and octagonal shaft. Stained
glass east window, carved oak reredos and traceried Gothic Revival chancel
screen of 1909. Oak lectern from early C20 Immingham Dock Naval Church.
Large painted Royal Arms of 1688. The tower is similar to those at Aylesby
and Healing (qv), the notched newel of the staircase and "Mixed Gothic"
belfry tracery suggesting a date between 1550-1650. Drawing by C Nattes of
1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Associated Architectural
Societies Reports and Papers, vol 29, pt 1, 1907, pp 74-75; N Pevsner and J
Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 280-1. A Tailby,
Immingham: The Story of a Village, 1970, pp 17-18.
Listing NGR: TA1752015082
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.