If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St.peter and St.paul
Date Listed: 4 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 164433
OS Grid Reference: TA1950611837
OS Grid Coordinates: 519506, 411837
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5895, -0.1960
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross 20m South of St Peter and St Paul's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
STALLINGBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
TA 11 SE
4/12 Church of St Peter and St
Parish church. 1779-81. Interior restorations of 1874 included removal of
gallery, reseating, creation of quasi-chancel; roof repaired and reslated
1884; ashlar window surrounds and glazing of 1908; chancel restored 1911;
chancel screen of 1922, vestry of 1926. Orange-brown brick, in Flemish
bond to tower and south and west sides of nave/chancel, in English bond to
north and east sides; limestone ashlar dressings, with sections of ironstone
ashlar to plinth on north and east sides of nave/chancel. Welsh slate
roofs. West tower with west entrance, 4-bay nave/chancel. Tall ashlar
plinth with cyma recta moulding. Brick quoins. 3-stage tower with 2-course
brick bands between stages. Round-headed doorway with plastered surround
and keyed archivolt, double board doors with ornate wrought-iron strap
hinges. Second stage: circular openings in raised ashlar surrounds,
containing boarded window to west, recessed panels to north and south.
Round-headed belfry windows with pilastered surrounds, bracketed sills,
keyed archivolts and wooden louvres. Quoins to tower form rusticated angle
pilasters carrying plain brick frieze with ashlar eaves cornice. Pyramidal
roof with original finial and weather-vane. Nave/chancel: round-headed
windows to south and east in C20 quoined ashlar surround with moulded
imposts and keyed archivolts, brick aprons and C20 diamond-pane leaded
windows in hollow-chamfered reveals; north side has similar blind openings
but in original brick surrounds with ashlar sills, imposts and keystones.
Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice with moulded ashlar cornice and
blocking course above. West end of nave has 2-course brick band continued
from first stage of tower. Interior. Round-headed doorway from tower to
nave; nave open to chancel. Modillioned cornice, 8-bay ceiled roof with
exposed chamfered beams; inserted C19 posts and moulded brackets forming
chancel "arch". Original flagstone floor with black marble insets to nave,
C19 polychrome tiled floor to chancel. Oak chancel screen in Classical
style with Ionic pilasters and dentilled pediment; door to vestry with eared
architrave and entablature. Stained glass east window of 1897. Brass to
Sir William Ascough (d1541) and his wife: figures of Knight and Lady
approximately 0.45 metres high in costumes emblazoned with heraldic devices
inscribed scrolls issuing from mouths, inscribed plate below, and small
indent for missing brass above. Alabaster and ashlar chest tomb to Sir
Edward Ayscough (d1612) and wife Esther: effigy of Knight in armour lying on
rolled mat, with head on tasselled cushion, coat of arms at head and helmet
at feet, beside effigy of Lady lying on her side propped up on her elbow, on
chest with angle pilasters carved with trophies, inscribed black marble
frieze, and miniature figures of 5 male and 6 female children kneeling
alongside. Early C17 alabaster and marble wall monument to Sir Edward
Ayscough, erected by his son Sir Francis: inscribed tablet in pilastered
surround with strapwork supports, inscribed frieze and cornice, carrying a
bust with both arms, the head resting on one hand, the other holding a baton
(missing at time of resurvey), in a round-arched niche with rosette ornament
to soffit and relief panel to rear with trophies, beneath inscribed frieze
and moulded cornice supporting oval relief tablet with arms and crest.
Octagonal font with plain moulded bowl and base on square pedestal, reset in
1872. Natte's drawings show oculi to the tower. The plinth probably
incorporates ashlar from the previous church which collapsed in 1746.
Drawings by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library;
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 377,
Listing NGR: TA1950611837
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.