If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 31 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 164722
OS Grid Reference: TA0330326433
OS Grid Coordinates: 503303, 426433
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7241, -0.4358
TA 02 NW
9/78 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 nave, early C13 nave arcades, C15 tower and spire; nave
lengthened by 2 bays, aisles widened, chancel rebuilt (all reusing old
materials) 1868-70 by R G Smith of Hull. Ashlar, lead roofs. 3-stage west
tower (embraced by C15 westward extensions to nave aisles), spire, 5 bay
aisled nave with north and south porches, 2 bay chancel with 2-bay north and
south chapels and C19 north organ chamber. West tower: set-back buttresses.
3-light pointed west window with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould.
Moulded band: pointed 3-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery and
transoms. Band beneath crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials.
Tall spire with lucarnes. South aisle: moulded plinth, buttresses with
offsets. Five 3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery.
Crenellated parapet. At the west end of each aisle can be seen the original
width of the C15 westward extension before Smith's remodelling. Pointed
south door of 4 moulded orders: 3 keeled rolls, and an outer filleted roll,
all on circular abaci and nook-shafts. C19 south porch in Early English
style. North aisle: essentially similar, with four 3-light windows with
curvilinear tracery of good style under hoodmoulds with grotesque stops, and
a single, smaller, pointed, window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery.
Pointed double-chamfered north door with chamfered imposts. Clerestory of
4-centred arched windows of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel:
to south chapel a chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets and a diagonal
buttress. To west and centre bays are square-headed windows of 4 trefoil-
headed lights; the east bay is of 2 storeys (reflecting an earlier, probably
C16, internal arrangement) with a square-headed mullion window of 2 lights
to the ground floor and a square-headed window of 3 segmental-headed lights
to the first floor. Crenellated parapet with crocketed finials. North side
has C19 square-headed windows of 3 lights, one to the chancel, another to
the organ chamber. 5-light pointed east window with fine Perpendicular
tracery under a hoodmould with bishop and monarch stops. Crenellated gable,
cross finial. North chapel: a pointed 2-light east window with
Perpendicular tracery. South chapel: 4-centred east window of 3 lights to
ground floor, square-headed window of 2 lights with label-mould to first
floor. Interior: tall pointed tower arch with continuous double chamfers;
similar, lower arches to north and south aisles. South arcade: 3 west bays
are early C13: pointed arches with paired rolls and a central quirk to the
soffit on circular abaci and cylindrical piers on waterholding bases. North
arcade: 3 mid C13 west bays of pointed double-chamfered arches on similar
abaci, cylindrical piers, and waterholding bases. All 4 capitals retain
original painted decoration of foliage scrolls and geometric designs, albeit
faded. Hoodmoulds to both arcades. The 2 east bays to north and south
arcades are by R G Smith: pointed double-chamfered arches on moulded
polygonal abaci and polygonal piers and bases. Pointed double-chamfered
chancel arch with attached shaft to responds: raised 1892. Late C13 chancel
north chapel: 2 pointed, double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil pier:
filleted attached shafts to responds. Late C15 chancel south chapel:
2 pointed, double-hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal pier. Set into the
north wall of the south chapel is a small collection of Romanesque moulded
and carved stones, including a sagittarius figure. At the west end of the
present nave, between the clearly inserted tower arch and arcade responds,
can be seen a small area of C12 ashlar. To north wall of the north chancel
chapel is a brass to the memory of Dame Ann Percy, wife to Sir Henry Percy,
died 1511. The second window from the west in the north aisle is by Morris
and Co: it depicts Saint Anne, Saint Luke and Saint Agnes.
Listing NGR: TA0331426432
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.