British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Wilfred, Ottringham

Description: Church of St Wilfred

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 166571

OS Grid Reference: TA2678224427
OS Grid Coordinates: 526782, 424427
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7009, -0.0810

Location: Sunk Island Road, Ottringham, East Riding of Yorkshire HU12 0DJ

Locality: Ottringham
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: HU12 0DJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TA 22 SE
(west side)
6/30 Church of St Wilfrid

Parish church. C12 sections to nave and chancel, C13 arcades; early C14
tower, spire, south aisle, south porch and rebuilding to chancel; C15 north
aisle, clerestory, south chapel. C17-C18 repairs to south chapel, spire
repaired 1810; chancel re-roofed 1824, remainder of church in 1843; general
restorations of c1860, 1901-2, 1927. Random cobbles to south aisle, porch
sides, parts of south chapel, early section of nave east wall; limestone
ashlar to tower, spire, north aisle, nave clerestory and east wall, chancel
east wall; roughly-coursed hammer-dressed limestone to south chapel; red
brick to west wall of south chapel (in English bond), upper section of
porch, and chancel buttresses. Cement rendering to north and south sides of
chancel. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Welsh slate roof to
chancel; pantile roof to south porch, lead roofs to remainder. West tower,
4-bay aisled nave with south porch and south transeptal chapel, 4-bay
chancel. Moulded plinth to tower, nave west wall and south aisle. 5-stage
tower: angle buttresses with offsets to first 4 stages, moulded string
courses between stages. Pointed 3-light west window with reticulated
tracery to first stage; slit lights to second stage; blank third stage with
line of earlier nave roof; slit lights and east clockface to fourth stage;
stepped-in top stage with pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings,
corbelled-out coped parapet. Recessed octagonal broach spire with finial
and weather-vane. Line of former gable visible in nave west wall. North
aisle: tall moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, buttresses between bays;
partly-restored pointed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and
hollow-chamfered reveals; pointed moulded north entrance with studded board
door; moulded string course, coped parapet. South aisle: square-headed
window with 2 trefoiled ogee lights, pointed 3-light window with reticulated
tracery, pointed 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. South
chapel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, square-headed 4-
light trefoiled south window with incised spandrels; moulded string course,
coped parapet. Nave clerestory: pilaster buttresses to angles and centre,
pointed 2-light traceried windows in hollow-chamfered reveals; corbel table
of moulded corbels with spouts, moulded string course, coped parapet with
crocketed pinnacles to north side and east gable, truncated pinnacles to
south side. Chancel: chamfered plinth to north and south-west, moulded
plinth, angle buttresses and moulded sill string course to C14 east section;
south side has square-headed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery,
lancet with dogtooth moulding at apex, pointed roll-moulded entrance with
hoodmould and door with blind intersecting traceried panels, square-headed
3-light trefoiled window with filleted reveal and restored mullions; north
side has C19 buttresses, pair of pointed 2-light traceried windows; pointed
5-light east window with filleted reveal and mullions, restored reticulated
tracery above original lower section. Porch: quoins, narrow pointed double-
chamfered outer arch with double doors; pointed fillet-moulded arch of 2
orders, mutilated carved corbel above, C14 inner door with filleted battens
and ogee-headed wicket. Interior. 4-bay south arcade and 5-bay north
arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers to
south, and alternate filleted quatrefoil and cylindrical piers to north, the
second piers from west with outer buttressing; plain moulded capitals and
bases, mutilated bust corbels to east responds. Tower arch: C12 arch
(perhaps original chancel arch) reset in C13-C14 as steeply-pointed arch of
3 orders, with plain outer order and chevron and roll-moulded inner orders
on shafted responds with cushion capitals. Pair of reset C12 head corbels
above north arcade; small octagonal image bracket on head corbel to nave
east wall. South chapel: pointed double-chamfered arch to south aisle on
filleted quatrefoil north respond, carved head corbel to south; piscina with
damaged pierced traceried head beneath gabled hoodmould with finial; 3
corbelled image brackets to east wall. Pointed double-chamfered chancel
arch on octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Chancel
has pointed cinquefoiled piscina with roll moulding and projecting bowl,
blocked door and plain bracketed stone lectern shelf to north. Restored C15
nave king-post roof with moulded beams and carved bosses including heads,
figures, grotesques and shields; restored king-post roof to south chapel
with moulded tie beams; C19 roofs to remainder. Marble wall tablet in south
aisle to Hugh and Nancy Wright of c1831-5 by John Earle of Hull, with carved
palm fronds, book and lamb. Good C15 octagonal font with cusped square
panels containing shields with foliate ornament, octagonal column and
moulded base. Full set of C18 box pews to nave and aisles. C18 Royal Arms.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, 321-2;
Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, 84.

Listing NGR: TA2677724428

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.