British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Bedgebury Park, Stable Courts and Garden Terraces, Goudhurst

Description: Bedgebury Park, Stable Courts and Garden Terraces

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 19 March 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 169429

OS Grid Reference: TQ7211734376
OS Grid Coordinates: 572117, 134376
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0829, 0.4560

Location: Goudhurst, Kent TN17 2SH

Locality: Goudhurst
Local Authority: Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: TN17 2SH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Goudhurst, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 73 SW
9/79 Bedgebury Park, stable
courts and garden
19.3.82 terraces
Country house, now school. Core of 1688 with C18 stables, altered c1838 (Alex-
ander Roos, architect) and 1854-5 by R C Carpenter, and after by William Slater,
architects. Originally red brick, now clad and extended in sandstone ashlar with
slate roof. Red brick stable wing with slate roof. The plain, pedimented red
brick block was given an Italianate shell c.1838, and transformed by French-style
roofs c.1855. House: large shallow H-plan. Entrance front of 3 storeys with 2
attic storeys, with projecting wings (3 bays each) and shallow projecting centre
piece (3 bays). Thirteen window bay width in all. Cornice bands to each floor
and modillion eaves cornice with urn finials to Mansard roof with central belve-
dere. Upper row of dormers with roundels set in scrolled, segmentally pedimented
surrounds, the lower row of sashes with segmental heads and scrolled surrounds.
Five sets of irregularly placed stacks. Glazing bar sashes to all floors, on
upper floors with flanking pilasters, on first floor with pediments to central
pavillion windows and 3 central windows, otherwise with cornices, and with
bracketed cornices to first floor. Projecting 3-bay porch to centre, with Ionic
pilasters to cornice/parapet. Three arched openings, with semi-circular fan-
lights, with panelled double doors flanked by casements (all originally open?);
the ground floor fronted by balustrade on low base. The garden elevation is
disposed identically, save for the absence of the porch, and the pavillion wings
being canted forward, with Venetian windows on ground floor, and large tripartite
sashed dormers. Attached to right (south west) of main block, by pierced para-
peted ashlar link-piece, are the stable courts, the older ranges of 2 storeys, red
brick, with stone plat band, and glazing bar sashes and wooden casements, and with
infilled coach house openings, with gauged segmental heads. The ashlared bell
tower and building were added by Slater, with leaded 2-stage spire, and clock
faces inscribed Pereunt et Imputant. The outer courts are defined by quadrant
walls with urn finialled gate piers, all in sandstone ashlar. Garden terraces:
the outer terrace about 50 metres by 50 metres, with balustrade set between
regular pedestals carrying urn finials with flights of steps and entrances in each
side, with 2 flights of steps to upper terrace, with similar balustrading, and
final balustraded perron over house basement area, with flagstone terrace, and
balustrade with cast iron torch-bearers at finials, supported by sphynxes at
base. Interior: mid C18 decoration in Dining Room, with marple wood panelling,
enriched pedimented door surrounds, large chimneypiece in style of William Kent,
and Rococo plaster ceiling with crossed swords in the centre. Library with Ionic
pilastered bookcases with enriched frieze and cornice, fireplace with enriched and
pedimented overmantel with painting. Neo-Classical pedimented window heads with
pier glasses and palmette and anthemion frieze to ceiling. Stair hall with (cast)
open-well stair, with cast iron balusters, ramped and wreathed rail, enriched
string, and Corinthian columned screens to landings. Ceiling in Adam style in
plaster. Entrance hall with marble floor, Ionic screen, pedimented doorcases and
C19 Rococo marble fireplace; and set with rectangular and round Neo-Classical
reliefs after Thorwaldsen, Untarsia ceiling of 1865, made in the Estate work-
shops. Chapel constructed c.1930 out of Laundrey (in the clock tower building),
all the wood fittings, lectern, reading desk, chairs, benches, reredos and panels
executed as a piece and to high quality and dated 1930 to 935. The original
chapel in the house now offices (doorcase with inset cross to frame). The house
was originally altered for Marshal Viscount Beresford, his architect, Alexander
Roos, was said to be Italian and a member of the Accadomia di San Luca (see also
Beresford Lodge, item 5/88, Kilndown School, item 5/131 and Christ Church,
Kilndown, 5/133). Beresford's stepson and heir, Alexander Beresford Hope had the
French pavillion roof and stable spire added, and the Neo-Classical stair and
entrance halls created. Otherwise a noted champion of the Gothic Revival the
Cambridge Camden Society and Ecclessology. Beresford Hope seems here to have
indulged in tastes inherited from his natural father, the great Grecophile Thomas
Hope. Bedgebury was the centre of all ancient and large estates recorded first in
814, seat of the Bedgebury, and later Culpeper families, with the new parish of
Kilndown created by and for the Beresfords at Bedgebury. Now a Girls' School run
by the Church Education Corporation since 1920.

Listing NGR: TQ7209234380

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.