The Archbishop's Palace or the Old Palace, Canterbury
Description: The Archbishop's Palace or the Old Palace
Date Listed: 3 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 170536
OS Grid Reference: TR1501557977
OS Grid Coordinates: 615015, 157977
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2803, 1.0817
Location: 50 Palace Street, Canterbury, Kent CT1 2EE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
944 THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
The Archbishop's Palace
or the Old Palace
TR 1557 NW 5/2
TR 1457 NE 4/2 3.5.67.
Rebuilt in 1896 by W D Caroe, but the south wing contains some traces of
old work in the buttresses and a C14 2 light trefoil-headed window. The C16
gateway in the Borough also remains, though it is now blocked.
The building is curved. 2 to 3 storeys flint and ashlar. Tiled roof with
3 dormers on right elevation and 3 mullioned and transomed windows with
hood moulding. Buttresses. The left side elevation has 3 gables with finials
and 3 mullioned windows. The central entrance porch has an archiepiscopal
cartouche and 2 twisted columns. It incorporates the West end of the undercroft
of the monastic refectory.
Listing NGR: TR1498757995
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.