Church of St Michael, Cuxton
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 21 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 172863
OS Grid Reference: TQ7095966451
OS Grid Coordinates: 570959, 166451
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3714, 0.4547
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Palaeolithic site, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
CUXTON CP ROCHESTER ROAD
TQ 76 NW North side
Church of St. Michael
Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, restored 1863-68 by Mr. Stump. Flint with
tufa quoins, much of it reused Roman material. West tower, nave with north
porch and south chapel, chancel. Unbuttressed C15 west tower. 3-bay nave
with south aisle of 1863-68. Chancel with one Norman window to north with
splayed jambs. Interior: 3-bay south arcade on round piers. Chancel
arch widened in C15. Wide arch to south to the rood stair. Perpendicular
rood-screen reset in tower arch. Wall-painting: C13 leaf on splays of
former window. Bench with poppyhead decoration in porch. Choir-stalls
with linen-fold panels. Monument to Ann Harley, d. 1603. Wall
monument with Corinthian columns, obelisks and top achievement enclosing
Listing NGR: TQ7119566680
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.