Thorndikes and Former Stable and Coach House Adjoining, Rochester
Description: Thorndikes and Former Stable and Coach House Adjoining
Date Listed: 19 February 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 173171
OS Grid Reference: TQ7404368100
OS Grid Coordinates: 574043, 168100
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3853, 0.4998
Location: 60 St Margaret's Street, Strood, Medway ME1 1UJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ROCHESTER ST MARGARET'S STREET
TQ 7468 SW
9/238 No 60 (Thorndikes)
and former stable
as The Vicarage and
House, formerly the Rectory to St Margaret's. 1781 (possibly
incorporating earlier work) with alterations of 1870. Brick
(with some stone dressings); Kent tile hipped and gable-end
roofs. Double depth, forming two separately roofed parallel
ranges with end stacks, a side wing, and a stable and carriage
house facing on to the street. Front: asymmetrical range; 2
dormers with Yorkshire sashes. Left-of-centre doorway (surround
with pilasters, moulded canopy on shaped brackets, and panelled
door); to the right a storeyed canted Victorian wing, with
sandstone dressings, dentilled cornice and pierced parapet,
string course between the storeys, rubbed brick elliptical window
arches and 2:4:2 horned sashes. To the left, 2 window bays
remain of a regular Georgian front, with sash windows in flush
frames (glazing bars to 1st storey only), and rubbed brick flat
arches. Projecting forward and to either side are the single-
storey stable and coachhouse each with hipped roof and round-
headed arched doorway (that to the right blocked). Side wing
with sashes. Rear: regular 4-window range. 12-pane sashes under
rubbed brick flat arches, and a C20 left-of-centre glazed door.
The name of the house commemorates the fact that Dame Sybil
Thorndike spent much of her childhood here when her father was
Rector of St Margaret's.
Listing NGR: TQ7404368100
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.