St Andrew's House at Oakwood Hospital, Maidstone
Description: St Andrew's House at Oakwood Hospital
Date Listed: 2 August 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 173462
OS Grid Reference: TQ7347955147
OS Grid Coordinates: 573479, 155147
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2691, 0.4854
Location: Tarragon Road, Maidstone, Kent ME16 0GN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST ANDREW'S ROAD
St Andrew's House at
TQ 75 NW 8/170
1833. Architect John Whichcord. 3 storeys ashlar. A long building with a
projecting centre and 2 flanking wings. Stringcourses above ground and 1st
floors. Cornice and parapet. The latter is slightly higher over the centre
of the wings. Behind these higher portions are octagonal turrets on the centre
of the roof. Pediment over the centre block with a clock face in the tympanum.
2-storey portico in front of this block with square columns, 3 arches on both
floors in the front, those on the ground floor round-headed, those on the 1st
floor square-headed, the sides of the ground floor solid, but of the 1st floor
open with square-headed arches. Cornice over the whole portico. Glazing bars
intact throughout the whole front and also iron grilles over the windows.
Large recessed wings of 25 windows each at each end, probably a later addition.
They are similar to the main wing, with end projections of 3 windows each.
Listing NGR: TQ7357655006
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.