If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter and St Paul, East Sutton

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 174072

OS Grid Reference: TQ8279349552
OS Grid Coordinates: 582793, 149552
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2159, 0.6159

Location: Church Lane, East Sutton, Kent ME17 3DE

Locality: East Sutton
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME17 3DE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

EAST SUTTON
TQ 84 NW
5/55 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
26.4.68
GV I

Parish church. Mid C13 or earlier, early C14, C15, and late
C15/early C16, restored 1897-8 and 1984-5. Roughly coursed
stone with plain tile roofs where visible. West tower, nave,
south aisle, south porch, chancel continuous with nave, with
chapel to north and south and with narrower unchapeled
sanctuary. North aisle. West tower: C15. 3 stages, on
moulded plinth. Diagonal north-west and south-west buttresses.
Battlements above moulded string. Polygonal south-east stair
turret taller than tower. 2-light belfry windows with
moulded jambs and squared hoodmould. Small rectangular light
to all but east face of second stage. Traceried 3-light west
window with moulded jambs and hoodmould. 2-centred arched
casement-moulded west doorway with attached shaft to each side
and hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. South aisle:
early C15. Moulded plinth. Diagonal south-west buttress.
Battlements above moulded string. One early C15 3-light
traceried window each side of porch, with moulded jambs and
hoodmould. Porch: C15. Moulded plinth. Battlements above
moulded string. Single round-headed, hollow chamfered light
to north and south. 2-centred arched casement-moulded outer
doorway with slender shaft each side, circumscribed quatrefoils
to spandrels and squared moulded hoodmould, formerly with
carved label stops. 4-centred arched inner doorway with
continuous hollow chamfer and roll moulding and moulded hood-
mould. Stoup with hollow spandrels in east wall. Ribbed
inner door. South chancel chapel: projects slightly south of
aisle. Plinthless, gabled, with 2 south buttresses. Late
C15/early C16 three-light window to south, and one to east, the
former with squared top, the latter 4-centred arched, both with
hoodmoulds. Chancel: C20 brick plinth. Diagonal south-east
buttress. Gabled. 3-light east window of 1897. Small ogee-
headed north light. North chancel chapel: C14, with C20 brick
plinth. Diagonal north-east and north-west buttresses. Steeply
pitched gabled roof, higher than chancel. East window and north
window, each of 3 cusped and subcusped lights, former with
intricate tracery of stars and quatrefoils within 2-centred
arched head, latter with segmental head, sexfoiled ogivals,
elongated stars and cusped mouchettes. North aisle: early C15,
on moulded stone plinth. Battlemented above moulded string.
2 buttresses. Rood loft stair turret in angle between aisle and
north chapel. 2 early C15 three-light windows with hoodmoulds.
Small cinquefoil-headed west light with squared top, hollow
spandrels and hoodmould. Interior: structure: 4-bay early C14
nave arcade of hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases, north arcade differently
moulded from south. 2-bay chancel arcade, also with hollow-
chamfered pointed arches. Octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases, those to south similar to, but probably later
than those of south aisle, those to north C14 and more finely
carved than nave arcade. South nave and chancel arcades
continuous, north separated by slight pier. No chancel arch.
Arch between north and south aisle and chapel probably early
C15; evidence for more steeply pitched pre C15 lean-to roof
to aisles. Tall C15 tower arch of 3 hollow-chamfered orders
with attached shaft each side. Aisle windows have moulded
rere-arches springing from slender attached shafts. North
window of north chancel chapel has moulded inner architrave.
East window of chapel has each inner reveal panelled by 2
slender attached shafts joined above capitals with applied
ogee arch with cinquefoiled soffit, head of which forms
impost for one of 2 chamfered orders over window. Finely-
moulded stone window cill. 2-centred arched doorway to
rood loft stairs, Moulded 2-centred arched doorway to tower
stairs. Roof: 3 octagonal crown posts to nave with moulded
capitals and bases, moulded collar purlin and tie-beams and
moulded and brattished cornice. Sous-laces and ashlar-pieces.
Brackets between pendant posts and tie-beams carved with
elongated trefoils. 3 medieval octagonal moulded crown posts
to chancel, with hollow-chamfered collar purlin; rest of roof
replaced. Common rafter roof to north chapel, with high
collars, sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. South chapel roof
rebuilt. Lean-to aisles. Fittings: Late C13 hexagonal font
with trefoiled panels, on 7 plain stone shafts, standing on
moulded hexagonal base. Ogee-headed piscina in south wall of
sanctuary, trefoil-headed piscina to south wall of south
chapel, and rectangular moulded piscina to east wall of north
chapel. Large hagioscope to south chapel. Continuous stone
seat to north wall of north aisle. Carved hexagonal early C17
wooden pulpit. Charity board of 1888. Decoration: Fragments
of C14 and C15 glass, and some armorial glass in south chapel.
Monuments: Monument on west wall of south aisle to the
Reverend Sir John Filmer, d.1834 and wife; Grecian, in white
marble on black ground, with figures of Faith, Hope and Charity
in relief. Signed by Ternouth. Tablet on south wall of south
chapel to Mrs Dorothea Filmer, d.1793; white marble on black
ground, fluted borders with guttae to base and urns to top,
surmounted by larger urn with shield. Tablet on south wall of
south chapel to Richard Argall, d.1605; egg and dart surround
to recessed panel, texts within bands above and below,
decorated side panels, cornice with shield and achievements.
Monument on south wall of south chancel chapel to Margaret
Randolph, d,1609; kneeling alabaster figures in relief, flanked
by free-standing Corinthian columns on consoled plinth, with
coffered arch, moulded frieze and cornice, shields and side-
pieces. Brass on floor of north chapel to Sir Edward Filmer,
knight, d.1629; engraved with figures of Sir Edward, wife and
18 children. Monument to Robart Filmer Esq., d.1585 in north-
west corner of north chapel; stone table tomb with moulded
plinth, corniced lid and plain pilasters. Inscription on back
plate flanked by Ionic columns with bead-and-reel frieze,
moulded cornice surmounted by small obelisks and shield. Skull
below inscription. Cartouche on north wall of north aisle to
Sir Robert Filmer, Baronet, d.1720. Monument on north wall of
north aisle to Sir Edward Filmer, d.1755; white marble with
moulded plinth and cornice, shield to base, and bust. Memorial
on north wall of north aisle to Beversham Filmer, d.1763;
scrolled rectangular tablet with moulded plinth, sheild to base,
scrolled pediment and urn. Tablet on north wall of north aisle
to Sir John Filmer, Bart., d.1797, with lightly moulded plinth
and cornice, shield below, and gadrooned urn against black
marble obelisk above. (J. Newman, Buildings of England series,
West Kent and the Weald, 1980.)


Listing NGR: TQ8297348410

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.