British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Nettlestead Place, Nettlestead

Description: Nettlestead Place

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 174807

OS Grid Reference: TQ6853352044
OS Grid Coordinates: 568533, 152044
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2427, 0.4131

Location: Nettlestead, Kent ME18 5HA

Locality: Nettlestead
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME18 5HA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Nettlestead, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 65 SE
(East side)
1/7 Nettlestead Place

Country house. Used as oast house from C18 until c.1921. Now house.
Circa 1250-60, circa 1438 or slightly earlier, and circa 1589, with
restoration and additions of 1921-22 by Morley Horder. Roughly coursed
galleted ragstone to ground floor of main range and lower section of
first floor, more random and less galleted ragstone to rest of first
floor. Roughly coursed comparatively rubbly ragstone to C15 right
(east) addition. Small blocks of roughly-coursed ragstone to 1920
section. Plain tile roofs. Ground floor of main range comprises mid
C13 undercroft of four double bays, with low doorway at north end of
east gable end. First floor of main range rebuilt or extensively modified
c.1438, and possibly divided into two rooms. Shorter, narrower two-
storey section built or rebuilt at east end, its south elevation aligned
with that of main range, its north elevation, or the west-end of it,
probably abutting a non-extant turret or wing running north from the
angle with the main range. A 1922 stair turret now occupies this
position. 1922 additions comprise a two-storey addition to the east
end of the narrow C15 section, (set back from south elevation), a wing
running north from it, and a passage and two-storey porch along north
elevation of main range. South elevation: 2 storeys. High hollow-
chamfered plinth to main range only. Eaves of C15 addition same height
as main range, ridge formerly lower, but made continuous with main range
in 1922. Stone-coped gable to each end of whole range. 1920s red and
grey brick stack with two diagonally-set flues to rear of west end of
main range, and another, projecting, with three flues, to east gable end
of C15 addition. Irregular first-floor fenestration of five tall C15
two-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and moulded architraves,
mullions and hoodmoulds; one with squared head towards west end of main
range, two with cambered heads adjacent to each other to east end of main
range, another with cambered head to west end of C15 addition, and one
with squared head to east end of addition. Three small plain-chamfered
rectangular windows to undercroft. Narrow uncusped three-centred-
arched single light with moulded architrave and squared moulded hoodmould
towards west end of C15 addition on ground floor. Further window similar
to, and virtually underneath first-floor window towards east end. Four-
centred-arched hollow-chamfered doorway with broach stops, moulded outer
architrave, squared moulded hoodmould, and shields dated "Ad 1589" to
spandrels, to west end of C15 addition. Three rectangular two-storey
projections, probably garderobes of late C16 or earlier, but that to the
addition probably of a slightly different date from the other two; one
towards centre and one to east end of main range, and one towards centre
of C15 addition. All formerly had lean-to roofs, but now have plain stone-
coped parapets. Two to main range have stonework similar to that of main
wall, and continuous hollow-chamfered plinths. Projection to C15 addition
has similar stonework to the addition, a low hollow-chamfered plinth,
long irregular quoins, and an off-set between ground and first floors.
None appears to have a drainage arch. Each has a small moulded stone
window towards top, that to centre of main range oval, the other two
circular. Projection to east end of main range also has a rectangular
slit light towards top of east return. Two buttresses towards west end
of main range, one with hollow-chamfered plinth. Battered buttress to
south-east corner. West gable end rebuilt in 1922. 1922 addition:
2 storeys, with lower eaves and ridge than C15 section. Roof gabled to
east. Two small gabled dormers. Two leaded first-floor windows, one
single-light and one four-light. Long east return elevation has a
gabled bay towards each end, two stacks, and mullioned windows. North
west courtyard elevation has gabled bay, stair-turret and two-storey
porch, small gabled dormers stone mullioned windows, and moulded four-
centred-arched stone doorway. Interior: quadripartite vaulting to
undercroft, with plain-chamfered ribs springing from low central columns
with moulded capitals and bases, and from moulded wall corbels. Stone
flag floor. Rectangular windows to north side, now giving on to 1922
corridor. Broad pointed-arched hollow-chamfered stone north doorway with
broach stops, probably a 1922 insertion, in second bay from west,
opposite 1922 porch. Low late C13 doorway towards north end of east
gable end, with cambered rere-arch to undercroft side, and pointed
hollow-chamfered archway with broach stops to present staircase - hall
side. Doorway, probably C15, with more rounded rere-arch to undercroft,
towards south end of same wall, giving access to C15 ground-floor room,
which has three broad cross beams to ceiling, equally broad, tenoned
axial beams, and broad close-set joists, all with flush surfaces.
Splayed and chamfered architrave to south-east window. C15 doorway at
west end of north wall has cambered chamfered rere-arch to room, moulded
pointed arch and hoodmould to present staircase-hall side, and ribbed door.
Similar doorway immediately above it in same wall on first floor. First-
floor level of C15 addition is several steps lower than that of main
range. Cavetto-moulded inner architraves to all first-floor windows
except south-west, and shutter rebates to all. 1922 staircase hall
separated from corridor on north side by pair of C20 pointed-arched doubly
hollow-chamfered doorways with broach stops, aligned with north wall of
undercroft. Immediately east of them, open-well staircase with turned
balusters and newels rising to north. Two doubly hollow-chamfered C20
segmental stone arches dying into walls, span hall at foot of stairs.
Roof not inspected. (Country Life 16th and 23rd October 1958 and
Margaret Wood, the English Medieval House, 1965. Pre-1922 exterior
photographs in National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: TQ6854552056

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.